What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

_dangtx_

Banned
unless you got cash coming out of your pockets liek there is no tomorrow, usually its quite smart to sit a bit and let the product be known and tested and maybe refined or such :)

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Just updated my 5870. Was hoping to get the 480, but I do think this is not a success story for NV.

Wonder if any reviews will incorporate these types of updates:

go to ATI site.

So now it seems ATI can do 3D too, that was one of the main reasons to go NVIDIA. And in some games that the 480 was much better then the 5870 like Dirt 2, the ATI cards now have 20%-30% increase pending. Hmm, the war could be interesting. Also, I do not believe the NV drivers are really new considering how long they have been developing them.

The newest Cat 10.3a "preview" drivers were used. Those basically implement changes above and beyond the 10.3 WHQL ones that are available right now. In addition, we used the 10.3 Profile 1.0 which implemented additional improvements.

As for a supposed 20-30% increase in DIRT 2 this late in the game for ATI (the game was a HD 5000 series launch title), doesn't smell good to me. Usually you will see improvements in game performance soon after a product is released. On the other hand, my experience with both NVIDIA and ATI is that when massive increases in gaming performance are done after so much time, image quality is usually adversely affected.

Delavan

the giga ones have 3 years warranties, dont think youll keep it that long tough as your main card.

Well, the Problem with Gigabyte is that the warranty period (3 years) starts from "manufacturing date" until you reach 2 years for the "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. The third year is parts only, no labor included kinda deal?

Anyway, scary.

wembler

The newest Cat 10.3a "preview" drivers were used. Those basically implement changes above and beyond the 10.3 WHQL ones that are available right now. In addition, we used the 10.3 Profile 1.0 which implemented additional improvements.

As for a supposed 20-30% increase in DIRT 2 this late in the game for ATI (the game was a HD 5000 series launch title), doesn't smell good to me. Usually you will see improvements in game performance soon after a product is released. On the other hand, my experience with both NVIDIA and ATI is that when massive increases in gaming performance are done after so much time, image quality is usually adversely affected.

Thank you for that. That is very helpful to know and helps put perspective on things. I wonder how this will play play out as i have read that there are rumors of a 5890 coming out. Then there is the 2 GB 5870. It will be interesting that is for sure. Should we expect some type of response from ATI that can return beat this 480s performance? I must say though that I am still not really that impressed by only approx 15% performance increase when this card was supposed to be a revelation of technology. I am confident that the 512 shader version may be worth seriously looking at though. But again, I cant imagine ATI has no answer to this in the coming days/ weeks. We will see. Still not overly impressed to be honest, even if there were no heat, noise issues.

I also found this interesting piece of news of ATI coming out with a 2nd Gen DX11 card this year. That might be interesting. May be a bit early to pre-order the 480 just now. I dont know.

http://translate.google.com/transla...kinci_yarisinda_geliyor-18909.htm&sl=tr&tl=enhttp://www.3dgameman.com/news/2010/03/26/next-ati-graphic-cards-2nd-half-year

With all these possibilities from both companies, this could be a very interesting summer for all of us.

Last edited:

_dangtx_

Banned
if they were comparable power/heat/noise wise and price as well it would be a no brainer :)

im curious what the little guy can make it do with upcoming nv software solutions

thenewguy001

shaolin95

The most nv biased review on the web, grats.

You should be ashamed of yourself, look at what the respectable websites like anand, [H] and THG said. You'll always be minor league if you are in nvidia's pockets.

FAIL.
You sir are a retard and the only fail here.
Funny how you claim this review is biased and that it is in Nvidia's pockets then come and mention Hardocp as your unbiased example! You must be out of your mind or you are one of the many silly red only fanboys that wanted Fermi to fail.
And about your beloved Hardocp, why dont you explain why every week mr Kyle has a new report on the awesomeness of eyefinity while his best argument against REAL 3d gaming like 3d vision is that the glasses are silly...give me a break.
Or how do you explain that in their cooler reviews Zalman is at the top when everyone else has the Noctuad D14 and Megahalems at the top? Whos on whos pocket now?

This are electronic parts you know, not sports teams so its time some people grow up and analyze things by their real value and performance and not by red and green teams...it is just ridiculous.

Thanks for the review, I am indeed getting a 480 and going SLI probably.

wembler

I must imagine anyone who pre-orders a 480 on the back of a preliminary review is a company fan boy. ATI and NV love you all. Try to be a consumer. A 15% performance increase was expected. But yet, those who have been paying attention would know that ATI has been sitting back waiting for those release of these cards. And yet some ppl pre-order the Fermi on the basis of the initial reviews, which show an increase of approx 15% on Avg - a far cry from the technological coup that was claimed even w/o heat, noise issues. It actually = fail at this point b/c the ppl who pre-ordered did not wait for the response - from the company that is in the drivers seat here. Yes the response may be enough to beat the 480 or not. but they didn't wait to see it. They pre-ordered = smart. NV loves you!!!!!!!!! Followers! If in 1.5 months from now the 480 is on top, then I will get one. Until then, i will see what happens.

Don't forget skill actually counts in the game as well!! Oh, but get your pre-orders out now!

r0bc

I must imagine anyone who pre-orders a 480 on the back of a preliminary review is a company fan boy. ATI and NV love you all. Try to be a consumer. A 15% performance increase was expected. But yet, those who have been paying attention would know that ATI has been sitting back waiting for those release of these cards. And yet some ppl pre-order the Fermi on the basis of the initial reviews, which show an increase of approx 15% on Avg - a far cry from the technological coup that was claimed even w/o heat, noise issues. It actually = fail at this point b/c the ppl who pre-ordered did not wait for the response - from the company that is in the drivers seat here. Yes the response may be enough to beat the 480 or not. but they didn't wait to see it. They pre-ordered = smart. NV loves you!!!!!!!!! Followers! If in 1.5 months from now the 480 is on top, then I will get one. Until then, i will see what happens.

Don't forget skill actually counts in the game as well!! Oh, but get your pre-orders out now!

So your happy with your 5870....thats great,glad to hear it.

Latest posts