What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comp wont turn on...

Zelzubub

PSU compatibile?... plz help :)

Hey all,

We had our power go out last night (wondering if its related) and now my GF's comp wont turn on. When you hit the power button the fans and LED's flash for a second as they would on startup but the whole machine just dies. You can hit the power button right away and does the same thing over and over, just dies after about a second, nothing comes up on screen or anything, it just cuts all power after it flashes briefly.

My media centre PC is working fine after the outage this morning, my gaming rig is working fine also. All 3 comps have surge protectors. She's 95% sure the comp was turned off during the night.

Could it be her power supply fried? Is there anyway to test the PS unit short of removing mine and trying it in hers? (reeeeeaaally dont wont to to do that due to the cable management Ive done in my case).

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated, thanks in advance for your time...

Last edited:

grinder

you could unplug the 24 pin atx connector and use a paper-clip to short the green wire with a black wire. This will force the PSU to turn on while not connected to the motherboard. Note that this test will not be as conclusive as swapping out her PSU with yours.

KaptCrunch

something is shortted this why boots then dies

try disconnect hardware till machine boots (had a failed cdDrive do the same thing)

Zelzubub

So I just went out to London Drugs, our only local comp store around here, and picked up a new PSU and got a good price ($119) on the BFG 650w GS series but Im having compatibilty issues. The new PSU doesnt have a 4 pin connector that plugs into the top left of my motherboard. The motherboard for this comp is a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe so its a few years old. Its also missing the little 3pin connector that powers one of the motherboard's fan outlets.

Is this PSU just not compatible with this motherboard? Or can I get a connector for those 2 missing jacks?

Sorry for the newb questions and for my newb terminology, but could really use some advise here. :doh:

Zelzubub

Hmm, interesting thought Kapt, I may as well try the old supply again now that Ive completely taken it out, and try unpluging a few things... nothing to lose...

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
So I just went out to London Drugs, our only local comp store around here, and picked up a new PSU and got a good price ($119) on the BFG 650w GS series but Im having compatibilty issues. The new PSU doesnt have a 4 pin connector that plugs into the top left of my motherboard. The motherboard for this comp is a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe so its a few years old. Its also missing the little 3pin connector that powers one of the motherboard's fan outlets.

Is this PSU just not compatible with this motherboard? Or can I get a connector for those 2 missing jacks?

Sorry for the newb questions and for my newb terminology, but could really use some advise here. :doh:
I don't understand what you mean by the little 3 pin connector, but usually the 8-pin connector that powers the motherboard can be seperated in 2, and use the one compatible with the board's socket. Simply do not use the second 4-pin connector.

Zelzubub

Well Kapt was right, I put the old PSU back in, disconnected the dvd drive and worked again. Thanks for the help pinpointing the problem! :biggrin:

I do however still want to use the new power supply in this comp to try out SLI since I have 2 8800GT's. These are the connections Im worried about, Ive circled them on the picture:

asusm2nslideluxepic.jpg

This is the power supply: http://www.bfgtech.com/CMDocs/BFGTech/pro=150-GS650_sellpiece.pdf

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate the help.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I gave you the answer in my reply; check out the link you gave us, and the 4th pic showing the connectors: it says 4+4 pins. Split them, and use only one. They have a pattern, and only one of the 2 will work.

edit: the 3-pin connectors are for case fans, and no connector from the PSU connect to those.

Latest posts