What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Complete mechanical keyboard teardown/cleaning

lowfat

Staff member
My Filco is 8 years old and has had more than a few drinks spilled on it over the keys. I've replaced a few of the switches a few years back. But I found that it needed a lot more TLC.

The keyboard as it was before I started. White WASD ABS caps and was plastidipped a red pearl.
WzebO6W.jpg

Opened the casing and unsoldered all the switches. Brush cleaned the pcb and plate.
iEghro2.jpg

What an 8 year old Cherry switch looks like inside. :whistle:
1wfinX6.jpg

Originally I was going to just replace all the switches. I had another mechanical keyboard w/ Cherry blues I didn't ever use. But I ended up ruining all the switches by attempting to lube the stems inside the switch.. They all would bind. :sad:

So I just disassembled all original switches. And thoroughly washed them w/ soapy water and a tooth brush. I then used a DataVac to dry each piece individually.
5STga8X.jpg

Reassembled them and soldered them back on the PCB.
FhAdnOQ.jpg

I ended up tearing the plastidip so I painted the keyboard casing, satin black, then clear coated. I let the paint cure a week before using it so I didn't accidently chip it. Also replaced all the caps w/ PBT ones, this time not blanks.
UbGSMXG.jpg

Keyboard feels brand new. The keys actually make a different sound than they were before.:bananafunky:

Will be doing the same w/ my Topre Realforce 87U in the near future. Its had even more beers spilled on it. :doh:

Lysrin

I just suffered an OCD attack and fainted.

^^^ :haha:

lowfat, that is pretty impressive! Personally I really like the look of the end result, well done!

... and whenever you're not using it, I would like to borrow your time machine so I can use it to get a few things done! :biggrin:

lowfat

Staff member
Replaced all the switches on my Filco last night. Had Cherry blues. Replaced them w/ Novel Key Sherbets. Cleaned the keyboard thoroughly while I had it apart. Pretty sure this will be the last time I'm able to swap switches on this ol' Filco. Some of the solder pads are completely humped. I've had it 10 years so far, hopefully should get another couple years out of these switches.

As for the switches. Not sure I'd recommend them. They claim 45g actuation but they are heavy. From my basic testing it takes 70g to actuate. But the click is ridiculously loud and satisfying. No way I'd be able to use these for gaming tho. Way to heavy. So I'll need to source other switches for my gaming keypad I am going to make.
b0PEtD0.jpg

6av2Ppq.jpg

E1NlZuh.jpg

Bond007

Nice. Thanks for the info on the keys...definetly doesn’t sound like ones I would ever pick (I would want as quiet as possible).

Lysrin

Just a keypad for a single hand. Like a Razer Orbweaver, just w/ more buttons and curved upwards so its easier to reach the keys.

... and you are planning to do a build log on that for us right? ... RIGHT?! :)

Twitter