What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer fan makes a loud whirring noise on startup

beginnerbuild

When I start my computer, there is this loud whirring noise like a plane engine. I usually lasts for about 10 seconds or so. It has never done this before I installed the graphics card so I am pretty sure it is the graphics card.
Asus Radeon HD 5670 (dust proof fan <-- maybe the cause?)
Intel core i5 2400 stock cooler
OCZ modXstream Pro 500W

these are the only components with fans, and i only have one case fan. I've only had this rig for 2 weeks.

thanks in advance

MacJunky

It is not unheard of for a GFX card's fan, and sometimes even CPU fan to ramp up to 100% immediately after power is applied. As long as it is still running afterwards and changing speed as needed, everything is fine.

MacJunky

I would think it is more that at that point in time the fan profiles have not been loaded yet even though the fan is powered.. but I could be wrong.

LaughingCrow

You could also open up the case and check all fan blades/housings to see they are clear of dust. I've had 2 case fans over the years, that sound a lot quieter once cleaned. Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol

Check to see if any blades are bent or damaged.

Peetah

Video cards usually run at 100% on startup until drivers load.

Latest posts

Twitter