What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer freezes, can't figure out whats not working.

aLnrdo

Hey there everyone.

I just built my first computer and everythings fine but whenever I run programs like XSplit and Fraps my computer freezes and it will require a hard reset. I'm not even able to access Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

My system specs are

X79 Sabertooth
i7 3820K CPU
16GB Dominator Platinums
6790 HD Radeon GPU
AX850 PSU
120GB HyperX 3K SSD
H80 Cooler

Thanks everyone !

Perineum

1. Start off with a RAM test, eliminate that first. No errors after a couple passes? (takes 3 or 4 hours using memtest86+)

2. Then run OCCT, or Prime95, or Intel Burn Test to eliminate the processor being overclocked too far or a setting being wrong. (test for at least 4 hours)

3. If that is still good then scan all your HD / SSD with the manufacturer's software to check for bad blocks, etc.

This is the tried and true lazy person's way of troubleshooting. It works.

Once you've eliminated most of the hardware in this way then you're most likely looking at a software problem. I use this method because there have been a few times I've chased down software problems (corrupted drivers, etc) only to find out a stick of RAM was bad and was causing the corruption just as fast as I was fixing it.

My $0.02

Soullessone21

Look up, and I second ram as well as go in the bios confirm you have the default ram profile for that ram set as well

Shadowmeph

Boot into safe mode and then run those programs to see if it still happens and if it does still it is most likely a hardware but if it stops happening I would look into software problems.

trayton

memtest+86 is my bet on this as well. Not sure if its allowed here but look up Hiren's Boot CD lots of nice tools there for doing memtest and other testing methods..

Almost guarantee its RAM I have found personally sometimes you need to test sticks individually (usually an hour each or atleast 30 min). That method works best.

Latest posts

Twitter