What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer freezing

Soultribunal

Staff member
I might take a vote on the PSU being a potential thing, problem with freezing and such is it can be a lot of different things.
The two most common I've seen is the PSU and GPU being the culprit. I would attempt using the onboard first to see if it replicates the issue or not, and then go from there.

-ST

Bond007

if it happens with either stick of ram and either gpu, that narrows it down. Has it had any issues just in bios? try reseting the bios back to default settings and see what happens. Could be too aggressive of timings on ram, poorly seated cpu, motherboard, psu...if it's hardware.

sswilson

Staff member
The onboard one I can try, can't even get into windows now. Start typing password and it starts adding characters

Pulled 1 stick of ram, and tried in different slots and then same with the 2nd stick

I don't think the 3600 has an iGPU. The board would have connectors for processors that do, but the one you've got doesn't.

edit: Late to the game, you already tried a low end discrete card.....

Soultribunal

Staff member
Well always troubleshoot the easiest thing to get it out of the way. Do you have a small HDD that you can put a fresh Windows Install on for it?

I don't think its a bad install. And if its doing it with just a little NVS 310 It doesn't quite rule out PSU but puts it lower on my list. Usually RAM issues manifest as BSOD when they are addressed. Could be something gone south on the MB (power delivery side potentially).

-ST

clshades

I'd be checking the temperature in bios. My iCue software reports water temp not cpu temp. Something is definitely way wrong though.

I'm assuming you're able to access bios no problem? If not I'd tear the whole thing down and rebuild it, just as a matter of course.

Cypher^64

I think it's either heat or the video card driver. Uninstalled the latest game ready driver and rebooted, so it'd be using the Windows driver and I have the sides of the case off. I was able to bench firestrike once and play a couple of games of warplanes without issue.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Nah if he's getting weird characters when using the keyboard in the bios I think it's the mobo.

Cypher^64

ALso forgot, there was a switch on the video card that was defaulted to "quiet", I had switched it to "performance"

I rebooted it and idle temp in bios was 31C

Cypher^64

Nah if he's getting weird characters when using the keyboard in the bios I think it's the mobo.

Sorry, it was adding characters when trying to enter my windows password. Only did that once

Odd thing is I can bench firestrike over and over but didn't start having issues until I tried to play warplanes

Latest posts

Twitter