What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer freezing

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
With 1 stick of ram I was able to run it at rated speed and play 6 games without issue. So many odd things going on, but looks like it is 1 bad stick of ram.
So did you try this with both sticks (one at a time?) If so, then yes you likely have a dud. The reason I ask is that I have had instances where XMP/DOCP would run fine with either of two, but not both sticks at the same time. A BIOS reset with both sticks installed forces the board to re-learn the sub timings on the next boot. This may solve the issue.

Not sure if that board has more than two RAM slots, but some are picky about which two you populate if it has more than two.

Last edited:

gingerbee

I stopped using gskill Ripjaws cause I had a bunch of problems with them they would test fine but wouldn't run at rated speeds and then started having random crashes like your having you could always try a new set of ram (not gskill) to see where you get

when I mean problems I had 3 different kits do the same goofy thing not running at rated speeds than overtime would have to crank the voltage to just get them to run at all

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
@Cypher^64

don't discount the mobo yet. Move the ram to the other slot that had ram in it and see if the problem reappears. It could be a bad ram slot.

if you need parts for troubleshooting let me know. I'm not that far away from red deer.

clshades

I stopped using gskill Ripjaws cause I had a bunch of problems with them they would test fine but wouldn't run at rated speeds and then started having random crashes like your having you could always try a new set of ram (not gskill) to see where you get

when I mean problems I had 3 different kits do the same goofy thing not running at rated speeds than overtime would have to crank the voltage to just get them to run at all

I agree with this. I had some dominator ram in an system a few years back, sold it and bought "faster" ripjaws and had a much less stable system.

gingerbee

Sagath is right, make sure you cover all your basis cause it still could be your motherboard but with Ripjaws I am betting on them lol

djbrad

If you suspect the ram, install both sticks, set them at default ddr4 speed (2133) using xmp.

Then use memtest to complete a run (see ultimate boot cd).

When you get no errors, move to next speed (2400, 2666, 2933, 3200, etc) until you get one. Then test one stick at a time at that speed. If one of them does not run at rated speed, return them.

KaptCrunch

Sorry, it was adding characters when trying to enter my windows password. Only did that once

Odd thing is I can bench firestrike over and over but didn't start having issues until I tried to play warplanes
first what MB have and its Revision thats printed on MB

"Rev:X,XX" then check MB site for may have a few model same name with differrent hardware heince Rev of MB.

lucky me system still booted with wrong Rev , reflashed with correct bios / MB Rev an issue went away. other possible can be have a bent pin in CPU socket or dirty ram....use a eraser to clean contacts and check dimm sockets are ok

Last edited:

Cypher^64

It started doing it again

I did replace the motherboard with an Asus B550-plus wifi (wifi is much better on this than on the gigabyte)

Put the stock cooler in to make sure i didn't mess up the water cooler, same thing.

Both sides of case off and blew a fan in, same thing. Thought might have been heat as fps start around 150 and then steadily drop as the game progresses and goes as low as 45fps at times even with not much going on, then back up to 80/90.

I'm going to see if I can borrow a couple of sticks of ram and test

Don't think it is bent pins on cpu, I inspected it on purchase and it slid into the socket easily

I hope it's something as simple as the ram

Last edited:

Cypher^64

It started doing it again

I didn't replace the motherboard with an Asus B550-plus wifi (wifi is much better on this than on the gigabyte)

Put the stock cooler in to make sure i didn't mess up the water cooler, same thing.

Both sides of case off and blew a fan in, same thing. Thought might have been heat as fps start around 150 and then steadily drop as the game progresses and goes as low as 45fps at times even with not much going on, then back up to 80/90.

I'm going to see if I can borrow a couple of sticks of ram and test

Don't think it is bent pins on cpu, I inspected it on purchase and it slid into the socket easily

I hope it's something as simple as the ram

If its not the ram, then has to be the psu or cpu. Only things left

Cypher^64

I tried other ram (unfortunately G-skill as well) and it crashed about 3/4 of the way through a game.

I took the stock cooler off and put the Kraken x53 back on, can anyone confirm that this is ok. I have the 2 fans for the radiator on the cpu and Cpu_opt ports and the pump on the AIO.

Latest posts

Twitter