What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer freezing

gingerbee

I would start fresh on a motherboard box like sagath has said so many parts have changed only a few left. good luck

Cypher^64

New psu, no change.

Pulled everything out and reassembled on the motherboard box. No change. Put the 3600 back in and system is even unstable with it in. Putting fresh install of Windows on yet again.

Think I'm done with AMD for now.

I have some Kingston Hyper-x ddr4-4000 ram I'll keep.

HyperX Kingston 16GB 4000MHz DDR4 CL17 DIMM (Kit of 2) XMP Predator RGB (HX440C19PB3AK2

Think of the Intel i7-10700k and the ASUS Prime Z490M-PLUS. Good combo?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I get you're frustrated but there are dozens of people on this forum with AMD rigs working just fine. Just gotta troubleshoot bro.

Cypher^64

I know, and I appreciate everyone's assistance. I built another amd system the same day for a young person, and its running stellar. For whatever reason I can only get this "mostly" stable. I choose the 3600 and 2060 as they were cheap knowing I'd upgrade to a 5800/5900 and a 3070/3080.

For whatever reason can't get this reliable. Think its just time to sell it all and start over with intel. I've never had these types of issues with an Intel build

JD

Staff member
Doesn't look like it's been mentioned in this thread, but make sure you have the RAM in the right slots as per the manual for the motherboard.

It looks like you've swapped boards and RAM throughout this thread, so I'm not sure which to lookup for you. Most AMD boards need slots 2 and 4 occupied (assuming dual channel setup). A lot of us are accustomed to it simply not mattering on Intel, but on AMD it makes a world of difference.

A picture of the PC in it's current state could help too. Pictures say a thousand words :)

Cypher^64

Doesn't look like it's been mentioned in this thread, but make sure you have the RAM in the right slots as per the manual for the motherboard.

It looks like you've swapped boards and RAM throughout this thread, so I'm not sure which to lookup for you. Most AMD boards need slots 2 and 4 occupied (assuming dual channel setup). A lot of us are accustomed to it simply not mattering on Intel, but on AMD it makes a world of difference.

A picture of the PC in it's current state could help too. Pictures say a thousand words :)

I put everything back in the case, with the 3600 and reinstalled WIndows. *SEEMS* fine, no crashes on loading or exiting after playing a couple games.

The ram slots was my initial error, after changing it to 2 and 4 ram ran at rated speed.

Right now I have DOCP turned off and looks like the ram is running at 2400.

I want to give the 5800 another go, I shouldn't have to reinstall Windows for that, correct? I know when I initially installed it, Window detected new USB ports and a lot of other things. Might be worth the extra 20mins?

sswilson

Staff member
Had you done a full windows re-install prior to this? I came across an article over the last couple of days that suggested some folks had been having issues with windows itself causing freezing. If this was your first complete fresh install I'll keep my fingers crossed that it did the trick.

JD

Staff member
I presume Windows 10? Latest 20H2 or 2004? I don't see why you'd need to reinstall from a CPU swap though.

I think anything older than 1909 does have some issues with AMD too, thus why I ask.

Cypher^64

Since I got the 5800, yes. I did have the 3600 in for this though. I'm going to put the 5800 back in and reinstall Windows again.

Latest posts

Twitter