What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer freezing

Cypher^64

Had you done a full windows re-install prior to this? I came across an article over the last couple of days that suggested some folks had been having issues with windows itself causing freezing. If this was your first complete fresh install I'll keep my fingers crossed that it did the trick.

This, so far, looks to be the answer.

anabioz

This, so far, looks to be the answer.

Good stuff.

Keep this URL handy checking for updated chipset drivers (that's for B450 Chipset):

Also, once in awhile check the integrity of the system with system file check:
--
sfc /scannow
--

if faults (corrupted files) are detected, remediate them with:
--
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
--

Re-run system file check:
--
sfc /scannow
--

You can also do a filesystem check with Check Disk:
--
chkdsk /f
chkdsk /f $drive-letter:
--
NOTE: Replace $drive-letter with another drive letter if you have more than one.
--

Cheers.

Last edited:

Bond007

Also, keep in mind that I don't think B450 gets official ryzen 5000 support until the new year.

Shadowmeph

I am not sure if this is the issue or not I didnt read through the 10 pages of reply's. sometimes on my laptop it freezes also on my gaming PC ( which is older) and if I am lucky enough to get the task manager up it shows disk at 100% I have tried everything I could find t osee how t ofix this and actually some seemed to work for a little while but then it comes back it seems to be something to do with windows 10.
on my older 2500K system which used to be my gaming system I would get freezes from certain games I think it was crysis ( many years ago) if I remember correctly it had to do with my Radeon video card and the drivers I had t o tweak the drivers or actually Ithink I had t ouse Omega drivers which I dont think exist anymore again this was years ago but Ido know some games and the really lazy programmer will have issues with some systems . with pc freezes it is really hard t otell where the issue is best I can come up with is using a live usb or cd OS and stressing the hell out of the system pulling thinmgs off and replacing them one by one sometimes that is the only way to find the cause and it really sucks if it is only happening say in a game that I really enjoy

Cypher^64

After reinstalling Windows, everything was perfect. Started installing my apps again and would test gaming after each app. Turns out it was the Razer Cortex game booster, I didn't realize this feature was on by default. Anyways, after install I trying Warplanes and it crashed on exit. Disabled this "feature" and is great again. Interesting how the new cpu magnified the issue.

Thanks to all for the help, I really appreciate the help with this frustrating issue

Last edited:

gingerbee

yup you always have to watch some companies software they dont spend a lot on testing different configs glad you worked it out

Coach

Good stuff.

Keep this URL handy checking for updated chipset drivers (that's for B450 Chipset):

Also, once in awhile check the integrity of the system with system file check:
--
sfc /scannow
--

if faults (corrupted files) are detected, remediate them with:
--
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
--

Re-run system file check:
--
sfc /scannow
--

You can also do a filesystem check with Check Disk:
--
chkdsk /f
chkdsk /f $drive-letter:
--
NOTE: Replace $drive-letter with another drive letter if you have more than one.
--

Cheers.

Hey guys, I've loosely followed this thread and I'm glad that the OP figured out his problem. I wanted to post here because similarly, I too have been experiencing my computer freezing. I recently side-graded my CPU, ram and mobo to Ryzen 5600X from Intel 8700K. Being too lazy to do a fresh installation of Windows, I just moved my NVME SSD over to the new motherboard. I knew full well this may cause issues but I thought I'd try it anyway. Well, lo and behold, my computer has been randomly freezing and I'm on the verge of reinstalling Windows. However, before I do that, I thought I would run system file scanner and see if it would resolve my issues. Just as anabioz described, I have successfully scanned and repaired my system files. Here's hoping this is the solution to my freezing. Just wanted to post here because my issue may be related to the OP's.

EDIT: just so that people don't think I am crazy for moving to 5600x from 8700k, I will defend myself by informing you all that I am waiting on a 5900x. 5600x became available and I was tired of looking at a pile of parts...

Latest posts