What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer keeps shutting down on me before I can install windows

AFG34

ASUS P5Q + E6550 + 4x1GB CORSAIR + Liberty Enermax 500W

I am not sure which part is faulty but it keeps teasing me...it works for a little bit getting my hopes up but never completely works.

So I had a Gigabyte motherboard which I thought was faulty and swapped this P5Q instead. Now I am trying to install a fresh copy of windows 7 but running into problems.

Symptoms:
Computer does not know how to restart it self, only shuts down. I have to manually turn it on again. (this is during install when it says it needs to restart but just shuts down.)

I formatted a primary partition and went through with the install process with a DVD iso and after it is done copying all the files towards the final step " completing installation" it just shuts down.

Then when I start it back again and windows loads to that point, it gives me an error that windows shut down unexpectedly and it needs to restart. So it shuts down (restart doesn't work for some reason)

Then when I start it back again it gives the same error " windows shut down unexpectedly and needs to restart"
repeat

Now I think it is the CPU which is unstable but who knows...

I know it is not the ram because I ram memtest+ twice previously and it didn't report any errors.

Only two things I can point my finger at are CPU and power supply.

ughh....I'm about to throw it all in the garbage.

Chris

Do a cpu stress test. The tools are all listed somewhere in one of these threads.
Found it, under troubleshooting essentials.

Bond007

Open up into bios and just let it run in there for a while and see what the cpu temps are like (I know its no load, but it could be an indicator of an issue if the temps are high).

clshades

sounds like you need to update the bios to me. Also... don't install windows with it overclocked if the OC isn't 100% stable you can corrupt the install and all kinds of funny things start to happen.

WiseWilson

does the computer lock up or is it that is just can't restart? Can you boot windows or linux from usb or dvd and start to diagnose that way?

ZZLEE

Check bios fore shut down restart settings

Check voltage on MB battery. Could be low voltage on Battery.

AFG34

It can't be the hard drive as it is a new 2.5TB I'm using....before that I had a 500GB WD and same issues were present.

When I first got the cpu it was from someone who sold it to me as a package with most of the system components. It was stable but I remember i dabbled with it and overclocked it slightly (this was in 2008/09) and it was un-ordinarily unstable when overclocked(I only overclocked it slightly with a huge heatsink and it would crash and restart the computer every now and then). So i forgot about that issue and just reset the cpu speed to default values and kept using the computer. Now i suspect that guy who sold it to me had overclocked it and messed around and realized that it was not a good chip but passable so he sold it for a slight discount - just my suspicion.

I went to local pc shop earlier today and got new parts so I may or may not do a cpu test. I may just start the new build.

@wisewilson - I booted Gparted from live CD and it worked normally but halfway through it had shut down. So I formatted the hard drive through Shift F10 when installing windows.

I'm darn sure it will be the cpu. I'm going to burn a live cd for cpu stress test and see results. That would give me comfort to sell all the other components.

Caldezar

I had this EXACT same issue a while ago. (Albeit on a different platform) But a BIOS update resolved the issue to me.

AFG34

I updated the bios with a usb and went smoothly.

Then i booted UltimateBootCD and ran a CPU torture stress test - after not 10 seconds, the system shut down.Way To Fold

Latest posts