What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer mounted on Corkboard?

Infiniti

Hey all, since I usually swap out my parts often (Turns out I'm cursed with getting dead PSUs, my 620HX died on me), I want something that would be easy to do that, so I thought about getting a tech station. Since they are nearly $100, I was just wondering if I could use a cork board and like, maybe mount it on the wall or something :bleh:

Jack Rabbit

From what I have read this is how Google builds their server farms. Plop the mainboard on a piece of corkboard, fill it with RAM, put in any necessary expansion cards, cable tie in place, and done.

Since yours will not be in a cooled server room the biggest worry would be heat. It might be a good to cut out a small square or five behind the CPU socket. If you are OCing your board you should probably put a thermocouple back there and monitor it. Also watch out for heat sinks that need a back plate.

Another though I had was just to back rubber or cork strips below the RAM and expansion card slots in a normal case to support the mainboard and reduce flex when you change parts.

Infiniti

Heh, then I guess I'll just get a tech station and use it as a permanent computer...:thumb: Oh and BTW, how would I mount a triple rad on a tech station?

Jack Rabbit

Infiniti

The problem is that I don't have any old cases around, or at least ones with removable motherboard trays. I probably would want the rad to be permanent because I doubt that I would be changing it any time soon. Oh and BTW, do you know if the PSU and stuff thats on the bottom deck of the tech station gets screwed in? From pictures, it seems that the PSU just sits there, so that might change my decision of getting a tech station. But, other than that, I'm probably getting the TS.

Jack Rabbit

No, sorry, I do not know about the PSU on tech stations.

Most tech stations I have seen look a little small for a three fan rad. If you want to mount the rad to the tech station you will probably need to build some kind of bracket. I know "build some kind of bracket" is a totally useless statement but there are lots of things that need to be considered. Do you want to change out the fans? Do you want push, pull, or push-pull fans? What is the airflow like? (Not much point in mounting the rad if it will be smooshed up against a wall when you put the station on your desk.) How much will you worry about vibration and noise? What about the other parts? How will the pump and res fit without kinking the tubes?

Probably the best way to start is to find one you like, get the dimensions, and mock up some possibilities.

Infiniti

No, sorry, I do not know about the PSU on tech stations.

Most tech stations I have seen look a little small for a three fan rad. If you want to mount the rad to the tech station you will probably need to build some kind of bracket. I know "build some kind of bracket" is a totally useless statement but there are lots of things that need to be considered. Do you want to change out the fans? Do you want push, pull, or push-pull fans? What is the airflow like? (Not much point in mounting the rad if it will be smooshed up against a wall when you put the station on your desk.) How much will you worry about vibration and noise? What about the other parts? How will the pump and res fit without kinking the tubes?

Probably the best way to start is to find one you like, get the dimensions, and mock up some possibilities.
Yeah, I'll think about that once I get a tech station. But with all this to think about, I'm sort of leaning towards a lian-li case because it seems like theres ALOT of room to work with in it. Or, maybe the Tagan Black Pearl.

Tazer-[X]

From what I have read this is how Google builds their server farms. Plop the mainboard on a piece of corkboard, fill it with RAM, put in any necessary expansion cards, cable tie in place, and done.

Since yours will not be in a cooled server room the biggest worry would be heat. It might be a good to cut out a small square or five behind the CPU socket. If you are OCing your board you should probably put a thermocouple back there and monitor it. Also watch out for heat sinks that need a back plate.

Another though I had was just to back rubber or cork strips below the RAM and expansion card slots in a normal case to support the mainboard and reduce flex when you change parts.
google USED to do that. But, I dont think they have that kind of room anymore. They just basically buy thungs like real cheap blades. And if thery drive fails, they leave it dead till the replacemetn comes in.

Latest posts

Twitter