What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer POST but then Black Screen

r0k0

Folding Team
So i've decided to switch my 5700XT into my retro build for mining, it post and display properly, can go in bios and play around all is fine.

after the POST before it reaches the windows loading screen, it hangs and stays black.. when i press power turns off instantly, no delay needed.

retro build specs :

i7 980x
Asus Rampage Gene X58
3x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair
Asus ROG 5700XT
256GB Samsung Evo
EVGA 1000W P2 PSU

Previous card was a GTX 690 and was running fine

djbrad

Huum, could be that bug where windows load on vga / dvi connection, but not on display port / hdmi off the gpu?
Are you able to manually select a device like usb flash drive or a cd to test alternative os boot?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Huum, could be that bug where windows load on vga / dvi connection, but not on display port / hdmi off the gpu?
Are you able to manually select a device like usb flash drive or a cd to test alternative os boot?
With the instant-power off I'm not sure thats the case, but an alternative boot is a good idea to start the troubleshooting.

JD

Staff member
Seems to be a lot of people with the same issue when I did a quick Google search...

It sounds like it's because X58 has no UEFI support and the 5700XT doesn't have a legacy BIOS. May also partially be due to only PCIe 2.0 on the X58 too.

KaptCrunch

The X58 chipset itself supports up to 36 PCI-Express 2.0 lanes, can use a V3.0 card in v2.0 slot

r0k0

Folding Team
Did you put the 690 back in to reconfirm it is still working?
yup i put back the GTX 690 and works fine. like DJBRAD said maybe its the HDMI not wokring properly ?

i have tried to boot the pc with NHOS for my other computers i mine and no display, the 5700XT was working just fine when i had it in my gaming rig before switching to the 2080TI, was booting from DP but now was trying with the HDMI and no display after the POST screen

KaptCrunch

try MB out of case and check the slots are clear of anything.
instant off means a short / overloaded

r0k0

Folding Team
after 10 windows reinstall and troubleshooting, computer freeze, windows crashing, bluescreen..

my SSD was bad, running on a 500GB HDD right now and everything is good except i didnt retry my 5700XT since i got another GTX 1080.. haha