What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer post then reboots

GrumpyGeek

Hello HWC..

I have removed everything but the CPU, motherboard and PSU. I have tired another PSU and it did the samething. Now it has to be the CPU or motherboard. I am just wondering if like reseating the CPU would do anything or is one of them fired.

thanks
GG

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Yes, I'd try reseating the CPU. One stick of memory only? Cleared the CMOS with the power disconnected?

GrumpyGeek

Yes, I'd try reseating the CPU. One stick of memory only? Cleared the CMOS with the power disconnected?

I had no RAM in it at all.. i cleared the CMOS and i reseated the CPU but nothing. Is there anyway to tell if its the CPU or the motherboard?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
It posts without memory in it? I didn't think you could do that.

And no, there's no easy way to tell if it's CPU or mobo.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
You need memory for it to POST.

Can you give some system specs?

MARSTG

Not to hijack the thread but I have a similar issue : I have a Lenovo SFF system with a Pentium D, and it stays on fine if in BIOS for hours at a time, but when launching windows 7 it shuts down in 2 mins max. Only one stick of ram, HDD, integrated video.

sincity

You can't tell when its either cpu or board unless you have spare of either to try. It's a pita at that point!

Although I did have a bad cpu before and I could tell from a message at post, but it depends on the mobo/cpu issue!

Latest posts