What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer tools

bigFOIG

What tools do you guys use when building computers? I guess I'm sort of looking for a nice screwdriver set, etc. that would have everything I need. Electric screwdrivers any good? Or should I might as well grab a cordless drill?

dandelioneater

I just have a magnetic phillips for screwing in the motherboard mounting screws. Thats really all you need to build a PC. If you are doing any mods, well... hehe theres lots of stuff you may need and can get. Some people may use electrostatic grounding straps or grounded work mats, but I think those are optional.

sswilson

Staff member
I just have a magnetic phillips for screwing in the motherboard mounting screws. Thats really all you need to build a PC. If you are doing any mods, well... hehe theres lots of stuff you may need and can get. Some people may use electrostatic grounding straps or grounded work mats, but I think those are optional.

Same here... Magnetic #2 phillips for 95% of the work. For slightly finer head screws a #1 comes in handy as does a standard jewellers' screwdriver set. Add a set of both standard and offset needlenose as well as a decent set of cutters (for zap straps etc...) and that's pretty much all she wrote.

Perineum

A small hex driver, for putting those hex nuts in the motherboard tray where you need them....

A magnetic philips driver....

Flush cut side cutters

That covers 90% of what you'll do.

t0m

i just built my new rig and i used a knife for the few things that would have wanted a screwdriver...the rest (80%+) was tool-less, or tools were included. the only things i wished i had were the tools (and material) to sleeve my cables before even starting the build. the thought of doing a full teardown at some point in the future to sleeve them is making the idea seem worse and worse the more i think about it :haha:

rommelrommel

I would specifically not get an electric screwdriver or a drill, most have enough torque to strip those tiny threads out pretty easily.

MacJunky

You can also magnetize/demagnetize your plain old screwdriver in a pinch using one of those round rare-earth magnets like lee valley tools sells. Just slide the large flat side along the tip to magnetize and use the edge along the tip to demagnetize. In addition you can achieve various levels of magnetization to suit your preference.

And if you ever get into notebooks, different types of tweezers and nylon pokey/prying sticks are handy.

blaze_125

Electric screwdrivers any good? Or should I might as well grab a cordless drill?
If you go the electric way, don't use a cordless drill unless it has a clutch and you keep it set on very low. Otherwise you may end up cracking stuff you wish you didn't crack.
A cordless screw driver will have less torque than a drill, so breaking component won't be an issue.

But really... most computer screw only require a few turns to be snug and tight, so just a plain old manual screw driver should be enough. That and a brown bottle!

Last edited:

great_big_abyss

That and a brown bottle!

Why brown? Not all bottles are brown!
cutcaster-photo-100624757-Three-Green-Beer-Bottles-in-Ice.jpg

But, I agree, that is a necessary 'tool' when building a computer.

Latest posts