What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer turning off, and then on repeatedly!

4Score

I have a system I built a couple of months ago, but when I shut it off, made some BIOS changes and tried to get it to display off of a new GPU I bought, it turns on normally, then it turns off, and then it turns on again until I flip the psu switch off! I tried replacing the psu because I thought that may be a problem, but it still persists. Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core, Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation, 200R ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker This is my system build, I have a gigabyte motherboard. I believe that I hear two beeps in a row when trying to turn it on.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ZZLEE

Check all motherboard screws. Check 8 pin and 24 pin power. check power connectors to GPU.

A picture off the inside of the system may help also.

Lysrin

I had very similar behaviour on an ASUS board in my 4790K system. I did all the steps: changed power supply, ran with the motherboard out of the case sitting on its box to eliminate shorts, tried all the different RAM combos one stick at a time, even tried different GPUs and no GPU. All with the same result, basically a boot loop that never made it to Windows that would continue until I turned off the power supply's switch. In the end I don't know what was wrong with the board, what component was wonky, but I had to RMA through ASUS. A new motherboard fixed the problem and it has never returned. My system was only a month and half old when the trouble started so originally I didn't expect the motherboard, but that was the problem in the end in my case. If yours is only a couple months old you should be fine to RMA through Gigabyte it nothing else fixes it. It sucks, but works out in the end.

Just to rule out the new GPU as an issue any chance you can try another GPU, your old one, or remove the GPU and run off of integrated video? Your 6400 does have integrated HD graphics. Won't be very powerful but it would be good enough for testing.

clshades

Are you able to boot the mobo with a different card or no card and update the bios? Sounds like something isn't jiving. You'll need to disable the onboard video and or make the r9 primary video device before you reboot new bios settings. Default settings are gonna always point to the onboard video if that mobo has one.

djbrad

Some settings are not good in the bios (got this situation while trying to set the RAM timmings, was getting ready to ship to board for RMA).

Try this procedure, it saved mine :

Backup BIOS

4Score

Hey all, just wanted to mention that I got the RAM replaced at a repair shop, and then I decided to replace it with a new piece of RAM and switch the GPU which was nonfunctional, but it still persists. Is it possible that I am damaging the RAM somehow. It worked after I got it at the repair shop. could it be the motherboard that is the problem?

MARSTG

Bios reset done? Board works fine just in bios? Without any hdd/ssd attached?

Latest posts