What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer turns on, but doesn't start up.

Kytael

I can't find a POST speaker anywhere on this board, is there really not one? if they use the PC speakers it might not be able to find the Xonar DX, but I have the onboard sound disabled in the BIOS (even though I thought I reset it). anyway I tried listening for POST sounds in various states of my computer being pulled apart and there is nothing from the Xonar DX or the onboard

I was hoping that since this board is used with the Q6600 in the heatsink testing on this page there might be some previous experience with it, I was busy yesterday but I am going to start taking it apart and see what's up.

DUMB Question is the pins tight on the power plug by the mosFet VR's near rear header?
as far as I can tell you're talking about the CPU header, yes it is in firmly.

odis172

A few things I would try - if its a new build, make sure the processor is supported by the motherboards currant bios revision.
Also, try taking the ram out, and with a pc speaker hooked up, upon power up it should give you a beep code. If not, its likely the mobo is at fault

tyreman

There is a set of speaker terminals on the motherboard lower right on mine methinks.
But it has to have a mini speaker connected.

Sounds like the infamous Gigabyte "Boot loop" syndrome

Has this been working good all along?
Or just trouble now?

Last edited:

Kytael

I found a speaker to be used with the speaker header but it didn't do anything no matter if RAM was in or out.

if it was a boot loop I think I would be able to see something on the screen?

and it's been good for about a year until now

looks like I'll be getting a new motherboard

reaverclan

wow that sucks so it was going strong eh, try looking for bulging or leaking caps. and i would try it without your sound card in.

tyreman

I found a speaker to be used with the speaker header but it didn't do anything no matter if RAM was in or out.

if it was a boot loop I think I would be able to see something on the screen?

and it's been good for about a year until now

looks like I'll be getting a new motherboard

Probably not but i will ask:

Can you access the cmos at all on inital start up?
what about f8 and select hard drive on initial start?

Last edited:

KaptCrunch

MoBo: GA-EP35-DS4 current bios is F5

Kytael sounds to me that you lost the cmos data for no sound from sys spkr didn't do anything no matter if RAM was in or out.

shame its a soldered cmos chip on MB for you can't it eazly remove to re-program it

Twitter