What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer won't boot

andynerd

I went on a trip to Florida for a week to be on the safe side I 100% disconnected everything from the computer. I come back hook it all up, turn on the psu and the light on the mobo goes on, everything is normal. Then I go to turn it on and nothing at all. So my only symptoms are the computer won't turn on even though it is getting power.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Have you tried resetting the CMOS (pull the battery and/or short the "clear cmos" jumper)?

Also, out of curiousity, was the standby switch on the PSU set to "ON" when you plugged it back in?

andynerd

The psu was in the off position when I plugged it in and yes nothing not even the fans turn on. Also I have reset the cmos but I am going to try again. It is also not the psu because I plugged it into another computer and it works fine.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Any pets? Neighbors with a key to your place? :ph34r: running short of ideas... but my guess right now would have to be motherboard related, as I've never seen a CPU or RAM die after... sitting.

andynerd

Yes I do have pets and my grandmother came into the house but it was just as I left it when I got home and the case was locked. I have had this problem before but usually it stops after a while or if I take it out of the case and put it back in. Problem is I have left it off for a month now and taken it out and put it back into it's case repeatedly. Could it be static maybe or some pet hair caught in it or motherboard flexing? When I put in the stock heat sink the motherboard does bend ever so slightly but it has never been a problem before.

andynerd

No there is no back plate also I don't know if this effects the situation but out of boredom and frustration i put the power led on the switch area to see if it is getting any power and it did light up the led so it seems that it is. Could it possibly be the switch it's self?

chrisk

Folding Captain
Is this the same computer that had the sparks and such come out of the back of it earlier this year? Are you using any of the components (ie. motherboard, power supply) from that incident?

andynerd

Yes same computer new power supply. And the sparks where just what I thought I hurd might not have been actual sparks.

Latest posts