What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer wont oc like it use to with new vid card

RONEDOGG

my pc specs before issue arised

8800gtx
q9550
8gb ddr2 1066
p5q mother board

i had my pc at 4.16 ghz for about 6 months with this configuration not a single BSOD.

now i have added a gtx260 vid card tot he loop and took out the 8800 obviously . and now the highest i can get is 3.6 ghz

anyone got any suggestions what could cause this?
is it because i have my pci-e freq at 100?

bojangles

Standard PSI-E freq is 100 so no problems there. Did you uninstall your GPU drivers properly? Uninstall, boot into safe mode, run DriverCleaner, reboot to normal OS, install?

Sometimes a computer doesn't like change, so you may have to reset the CMOS and start over.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I was going to mention psu. Have you checked out the rail configuration? Did your temps change much after you connected the 260 to your loop?

Sagath

Staff member
power supply off the top of my head
+1. Sounds like a rail issue. This is why I love single raid PSU's. Either that, or as mentioned, temps. But I cant see them jacking that much off a gtx260 getting added in the loop. Unless your flow rate has fallen alot. Any hoses kinked? Check your flow rate and/or temps.

RONEDOGG

computer was a fresh install of windows after install of card so cant be driver issue

temps are the same. its on 2 separate loops. cpu nb on loop one with a 240mm rad. and loop 2 with vcore vid sb and ram with a 240mm rad and a 120mm rad

@3.6 ghz
rite now temps are at idle state core 1-4 around 39-42c and outside diode temp temp is 27c, vid 38c.

coolant is 22c

i checked for leaks or kinks none at all. flow rate seems the same as it was before. cpu block MIGHT not be seated properly because these were the temps i had before when i was at 4.16 ghz.
tonight i might take it off and try to reset the cpu block.

i actually upgraded my fans on the case rite after i installed vid card for extra airflow on the rads. and added proper coolant (i had car rad fluid in there )

wait i did actually Upgrade my power supply... so maybe this 1200 watt cooler master is inferior to my ocz 760 or 780 watt?

Sagath

Staff member
wait i did actually Upgrade my power supply... so maybe this 1200 watt cooler master is inferior to my ocz 760 or 780 watt?

No, no. Thats not what we are saying. Check your PS, how many 12v rails does it have and for what amps? We're saying you may be drawing all your 12v power off one rail, and its preventing your CPU from getting enough juice.

For example; Your old ~700w OCZ could of had 2 rails for 35amps each. Your new 1200w could have 4 rails of 25 amps each. If you are using only one rail, you could be swamping the PS on that one rail. Try swapping some of the graphic/hdd/dvd etc connectors with other unused wires on your PSU.

And to answer you in advance of the question: No, there is no way to tell (without opening the PS up) which rail each wire is using. :sad:

chrisk

Folding Captain
Check Cooler Master's site for documentation on the rail layout. If all else fails post the exact model of your PSU and somebody might be familiar with that unit or find the info for you.

RONEDOGG

hmm all rite i get what you are saying. im gonna do some wire switching tomorrow then see if that helps.
now that you say that that makes total sense.

thanks guys i will post more info once i test this idea out

Cheers

Twitter