What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer won't power on at all

moocow

I'm not sure if I damaged my motherboard and/or CPU when I moved the electrical plug to another socket on the power bar while the machine is off but didn't turn off the PSU. I tried to power on the PC but I got nothing except a status light on the onboard LAN port being on. Things I done:

1. Swap the power switch with the reset switch
2. Try to short the power header pins
3. Test PSU with a basic PSU tester
4. Unplug everything except 1 stick of RAM and the M.2 SSD
5. Swap PSU
6. Remove entire board and try to power on using a cardboard bench and shorting the power header pins

So I got nothing and put back in my old i7 2600K board and stole some RAM from my server and reused the GTX 960 2GB. This rig powers on right the way as I'm posting this thread with it and watching YouTube. Motherboard? CPU? RAM? I don't have a spare 100 series board to test or anything that takes DDR4.

Izerous

Folding Team
I have never flicked a PSU switch when moving it's plug but always with the computer off and NOT hibernating. I have had issues bring a computer back away the was hibernating that lost full power.

I would do a visual check on the MB caps, check the CMOS battery and just do a general sanity check before going too far down a rabbit hole.

Also sometimes a full power drain can fix certain issues but it seems like your past that point already. (PSU unplugged but on, and hit power button to forcefully drain all capacitors etc)

KaptCrunch

Other short by backside motherboard, have tried MB out of case. Seen warped MB that stressed from bent case, only worked when torqued down inside case (broken trace)

moocow

Hmm kind of odd to have motherboard short all the sudden because I was using it up to midnight last night. I'll let it rest for 24 hours and see if it powers back on. I actually moved to a different power bar during testing and had no reaction from the motherboard.

clshades

I never move the plug without turning off the psu. You'll always get spark over if something wants power. Obviously, you'll not make this mistake again, given the circumstances.

It will likely take a great deal of time to pin point the issue without another working ddr4 board.

gingerbee

Other short by backside motherboard, have tried MB out of case. Seen warped MB that stressed from bent case, only worked when torqued down inside case (broken trace)

I have had 2 boards do this to me over the years. Both happened when I moved the pc's just a heads up they would work torqued down a certain way but not work if not torqued just the right way. real pain in the a$$ to figure that out.

moocow

I might of bumped the tower while it's powered off as I was working under the desk to get to the power bar. I just removed all the RAM and M.2 SSD, reset the CMOS via jumper but it still won't power on when shorting the power switch header. Does anyone in GVRD area have a spare 100/200 series board I can borrow?

moocow

I'll have to figure out what kind of CMOS battery works because it's an ITX board using a wrapped battery with a connector on the end of a pair of wires.

Latest posts