What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer Wont Start

RealTer

Hi,

Sorry to bother you with my problems but I cant seem to figure this one out... I just got back from a 6 month work trip and for some reason my PC wont start anymore! im not talking about the OS I have no reaction from pressing the power button at all zero beeps or anything... I opened up my tower and took a look inside a light on my motherboard is lighting up. Ive never had such an issue before.

Ps; Again im sorry but I cant figure this one out, Many thanks!

sswilson

Staff member
If it's been in storage for 6 months the first thing that comes to mind would be to try replacing the motherboard's coin battery. It's possible it's been drained trying to keep your bios settings active.

Every one I've ever seen has been a CR2032 and you can pick up a replacement just about anywhere (including the dollar store).

RealTer

Hi sswilson,

I will try that right away and keep you posted. I thank you for the fast reply and mostly your time.

x15Artx

Power Supply of computers that have not been powered for a long time often give trouble.

Try: put the switch on the Power Supply to "OFF" first, then to "ON" before attempting to start
the computer.

RealTer

Sit-rep, The new battery didnt solve the issue sadly. I looked for the on/off button for the power supply finding none? can this be? the tower is a Dell Inspiron 580. removing the motherboard seems complicated with my limited abilities, that being said if it is the solution I shall proceed with caution.

Many, Many Thanks!

JD

Staff member
By chance do you have any warranty on this still? Sounds like it may need to go back to Dell for servicing.

I know my computer did something similar, I went away for the weekend and came home and it wouldn't power on. My fix ended up being re-flashing the BIOS using a recovery method, but that's not something you can readily do with a Dell.

Have you tried leaving it unplugged for a day? Doubt it would do anything, but no harm in trying.

RealTer

Hi HJ,

Thanks for the reply, this desktop computer isnt what I would call "new" or worth bringing in for service...Its mostly used as a linux shell(SSH) that I can access from away from home since I have my large data drives connected to it, and my Arduino projects... I use it basically as a home hub/server. So its more or less fix/try to on the cheap or just buy a new system. many thanks for the input! I have kept it unplugged, all for not.

When I connect the power wire a yellow MINI PWR LED lights up on the board.. however it just wont power up.. no beeping no fan nothing :/ only the PWR yellow LED. many thanks! if its a loss dont hide it from me! I can take the blow :p

Latest posts

Twitter