What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer won't turn at all!

eltiti55555

Last night I think I left my computer on OR on sleep mode(can't remember), BUT this morning when I woke up it was completely off. I tried turning it on by pressing the power button, but nothing happened. I checked the power supply cable and even reconnected it, and the only thing that happened right after reconnecting it was a small flash of red light (normally there is a red light when the computer is ON) beside the power button after pressing it, but only for about 1 sec, and then it went off.

I opened the case, and checked all cables on my HAF 922 which seemed OK. TBH I payed NCIX $50 to assemble my computer when I bought the parts, because it gave me 1 year warranty (Expires on July 15 this year); therefore many of the cables are hidden under one side of the HAF 922 which I have never touched, but I honesty doubt that the problem lies there. To my experience (with other PCs) I have the strong feeling that the PSU just died. I used to hear some loud fan-like sound coming from the PSU a while back when I bought the PC, but now that I think about it I believe that it stopped doing that after a while.

Anyways that being said are there any tests I can run to make sure that it is the PSU the one at fault here, or if it is something else completely? Also any specific specs of my computer can be found under my signature, but if you need some specific details please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

dandelioneater

Maybe try a different electrical outlet and take the side panel off and see if there are any led's illuminated on the motherboard when you plug the psu it. If there is that means there is power to the board. Then try powering it on again.

eltiti55555

Maybe try a different electrical outlet and take the side panel off and see if there are any led's illuminated on the motherboard when you plug the psu it. If there is that means there is power to the board. Then try powering it on again.

There are no lights on the motherboard, although I don't remember it having lights even while it was on. What I do notice is that every time I reconnect it some power reaches the computer, because when I press on the power button it flashes red for a sec, and the fan on the heat sink tries to spin, but again ONLY for 1 sec or so. The outlet where it is plugged in works just fine, because I tried charging my laptop from there and it worked. Anything else I could do at this point? :sad:

Dzzope

Return to sender.. make it NCIX's problem before the warranty runs out..

Sounds like the PSU but they will have to fix it no-matter what it is..

At the very least contact them that there is a problem so that they have a record that it happened before the warranty runs out.

They may get you to trouble-shoot and then just send specific parts rather than the whole box.

Entilza

Definitely a PSU or Motherboard problem... Probably and hopefully PSU.. Not sure how comfortable you are working with the computer but you definitely need to swap Power supplies and see if it works it's the easiest thing to test.

You have a warranty from NCIX I would just call the nearest one you and ask if you can bring it in..

eltiti55555

Return to sender.. make it NCIX's problem before the warranty runs out..

Sounds like the PSU but they will have to fix it no-matter what it is..

At the very least contact them that there is a problem so that they have a record that it happened before the warranty runs out.

They may get you to trouble-shoot and then just send specific parts rather than the whole box.

Yea I was thinking about doing that. I don't have any experience returning things to NCIX, but do you know if they give credit refunds? That way I can just add some money on top of that and buy a better PSU, maybe even with more watts for future use.

Definitely a PSU or Motherboard problem... Probably and hopefully PSU.. Not sure how comfortable you are working with the computer but you definitely need to swap Power supplies and see if it works it's the easiest thing to test.

You have a warranty from NCIX I would just call the nearest one you and ask if you can bring it in..

I have assembled computers from scratch a couple of times, but never a gaming computer, which has a lot of more cables, plugs, and whatnot. Specially this one since I didn't build it myself, but if the guarantee covers it I am pretty sure they should be able to replace the PSU themselves. They did a pretty good job organizing cables last time, so hopefully they will do it again.

Master_Shake_

is the switch on, on the back of the psu??

cause it sounds like what happens when the psu gets shut off and you hit the power button to discharge the capacitors in the psu?

is your psu power cable ok?

eltiti55555

is the switch on, on the back of the psu??

cause it sounds like what happens when the psu gets shut off and you hit the power button to discharge the capacitors in the psu?

is your psu power cable ok?

Yup, it's on. Also I tried a different cable from my other computer and i got the same result.

sswilson

Staff member
Last night I think I left my computer on OR on sleep mode(can't remember), BUT this morning when I woke up it was completely off. I tried turning it on by pressing the power button, but nothing happened. I checked the power supply cable and even reconnected it, and the only thing that happened right after reconnecting it was a small flash of red light (normally there is a red light when the computer is ON) beside the power button after pressing it, but only for about 1 sec, and then it went off.

I opened the case, and checked all cables on my HAF 922 which seemed OK. TBH I payed NCIX $50 to assemble my computer when I bought the parts, because it gave me 1 year warranty (Expires on July 15 this year); therefore many of the cables are hidden under one side of the HAF 922 which I have never touched, but I honesty doubt that the problem lies there. To my experience (with other PCs) I have the strong feeling that the PSU just died. I used to hear some loud fan-like sound coming from the PSU a while back when I bought the PC, but now that I think about it I believe that it stopped doing that after a while.

Anyways that being said are there any tests I can run to make sure that it is the PSU the one at fault here, or if it is something else completely? Also any specific specs of my computer can be found under my signature, but if you need some specific details please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Just to be absolutely sure you don't get hit with a "there was no problem with the machine" maintenance fee you'll want to go through a few steps.
  • Cmos reset
  • Physically disconnect all PSU connections and reconnect
  • Physically disconnect all fans and reconnect
  • reseat CPU
  • unplug all connections from the motherboard except for cpu fan, motherboard power, and gpu power
I'd personally try running the board outside of the case, but if you've got a warranty/maintenance package with NCIX that might be more than you need to do.

The one time in recent history that I can remember a system with symptoms like what you're describing it ended up being issues with a flakey 4/8 pin motherboard power connector.

Latest posts