What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Configuratoin Error?

DSNB

Recently I just made my own rig (the one posted @ ATI section is shared one), the only thing I took from HP computer is the HD... I did this since the HP pc = broken.

Now when ever I turn the PC on i get configuration error! Some people told me to repair or format it... how on earth can I do that? :doh:

sswilson

Staff member
Recently I just made my own rig (the one posted @ ATI section is shared one), the only thing I took from HP computer is the HD... I did this since the HP pc = broken.

Now when ever I turn the PC on i get configuration error! Some people told me to repair or format it... how on earth can I do that? :doh:
When you install XP it will ask you what you want to do with the hard drive. What you need to do is actually delete all partitions from the drive and create a new one (or more if you wish) before installing the operating system.

Mr. Cipher

do keep in mind that formatting/repartitioning will cause you to lose all your data...

I that happen to me once too, and what I ended up doing was buying a new HDD and installing XP on it, then copying my old files from the old HDD to the new one, then cleaning the old one. I did this because I don't know much about HDD backup/imaging software.

Costly repair back then, however 500gb HDs are ~$100 now if you want to go that route and have your data.

Either way the length of time to fix it is barely longer than a routine install of XP!

Jmac

If you're getting a new drive, there's no point in copying your files over to the new one. Just install the old drive and use it as the secondary drive.

Mr. Cipher

If you're getting a new drive, there's no point in copying your files over to the new one. Just install the old drive and use it as the secondary drive.
That's true too...:doh:

I'm a formatting freak, though that would have saved me alot of time.

sswilson

Staff member
D'oh, so I now need to buy OS now
Yep, it is virtually impossible to re-use the OS from one of the big-box pre-builds as they are directly tied to the hardware, and the license is through the computer manufacturer rather than through microsoft. (Even to the point that microsoft's official policy is that all OS tech support for them should be done through the computer manufacturer rather than through the microsoft site).