What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Connection slow

Dwayne

It is a Realtek chip. Not sure what number though. EVGA X58 SLI LE MB. I tried to disconnect all USB devices, even unplugged from the wall for a few hours. I am downloading Sisoft Sandra to run some hardware tests. Someone I work with suggested a Southbridge problem perhaps, I am seeing this problem but there may be others I am not aware of. <shrugs> This is a new one for me, I can usually fix things myself, or at least plumb the depths of the internets!

So, instead, I am going to order some new kit. Like I needed an excuse :)

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
ROFL

But not being able to pinpoint the issue on my end too is rare. Stupid question (which you may have already mentioned) but did you swap the network cable?

Dwayne

Yup, I did try various cables. Even connected a cable to another computer (my netbook) just to make sure. Still the same.

I will part out the MB, CPU, RAM when I get my new kit. Like I said, didn't really need an excuse, but I got one anyway. Also bought a Win 7 Pro 64 Bit license so I don't have to call Mickey Soft to enable my upgrade Family pack again. 20 Min on the phone explaining that I had to reinstall... and I will have to call every time I guess, with that license. What a PITA they make that.

sswilson

Staff member
Yup, I did try various cables. Even connected a cable to another computer (my netbook) just to make sure. Still the same.

I will part out the MB, CPU, RAM when I get my new kit. Like I said, didn't really need an excuse, but I got one anyway. Also bought a Win 7 Pro 64 Bit license so I don't have to call Mickey Soft to enable my upgrade Family pack again. 20 Min on the phone explaining that I had to reinstall... and I will have to call every time I guess, with that license. What a PITA they make that.

One of the main reasons why many of us have technet subscriptions. Heh... I even renew the bloody thing every year even though the keys I use don't require it. :)

Dwayne

Okay, just downloaded and installed Windows 8 Preview in dual boot and lo and behold the network is running full blast.

So, Windows 7 is doing something, even after reinstalling it. At least I now know that the MB is okay, so selling it will not make me uncomfortable :) Still, it is a royal PITA to have to do a rebuild and reinstall all my programs just because Windows 7 somehow decides to crap the bed!

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Did you sign up for / download the Diablo III pre-load, and did you set it up on the second load of windows? I know I'm grasping at straws here, but this is the second or third complaint of this form recently so I'm assuming it's something OS / driver / Software related....

The reason I'm asking about DIII is that the pre-load apparently uses some form of P2P.

Dwayne

Nope, I have a pre-order for D III at my local Futureshop. I did play the open beta weekend, but that was before the reinstall of Windows 7.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
hmm. this reminds me that my mid-son decided to install the play-for-free BF on the HTPC, and since then the NIC has been crap... P2P you say? Time to dig.

sswilson

Staff member
hmm. this reminds me that my mid-son decided to install the play-for-free BF on the HTPC, and since then the NIC has been crap... P2P you say? Time to dig.

Many of today's DL'd games use some form of P2P and it's often not all that obvious how to shut it off. Don't remember which game it was, but when this first came out, disabling P2P severely nerfed available DL speeds. It's a way for distributers to save money on delivery of electronic media.

Best way to check for this is to "share" an internet connection with another PC. That way you can monitor bandwidth on the "host" to see if the "client" PC has any hidden activity going on. A higher end router should be able to tell you that as well.

Dwayne

Just booted back into Windows 7 and sure enough, it still is crap. One of the more perplexing issues I have dealt with in a long time.

On another note, I have found Windows 8 a bit snappier, but the start interface to be horrendous from a desktop user POV. I guess I am on the "No Metro for Desktops" list. I prefer the old start menu and short cuts.

Latest posts