What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Connection to GPU lost

Prickly007

After installing my Asus GTX 1080 Ti on Wednesday, and updating drivers, Afterburner and HWINFO, I started mining with what I thought was a very modest overclock. But it wouldn't be very long before I noticed that temps and other data were no longer being displayed on my keyboard's LCD screen.

In HWINFO, most of the gpu categories had become static/greyed out and Afterburnber indicated "Connection to GPU Lost". Unlike the handful of Goggle results that came up, my system isn't crashing or having the screen go black. Temps were in the low-to-mid-60s, so I don't think that is an issue.

To date, I have:

* put the GPU back to stock settings
* rolled back the drivers from 388.71 to 384.94,
* reinstalled HWINFO and Afterburner

That seemed to improve matters, in the last day-ish, the connection to the GPU has only been lost twice. But still.... Event viewer shows a few Nvidia Display driver stopped working and has recovered messages, so I am thinking this is a driver/software issues, rather than faulty hardware.

Anyone have any ideas? What driver version are people using these days?

Mr. Friendly

hey Prickly,

first thing I'd do is check the power connectors and make sure they're tight/snug?

then you can try uninstalling it in device manager and restart the PC and let it get detected and re-installed.

also, if this doesn't work and you still think it's a driver issue, use DDU, restart and try installing the previous driver to the current.

Cam

Prickly007

first thing I'd do is check the power connectors and make sure they're tight/snug?
Lights are both white, triple checked all cables when I installed it. As the installation is a bitch with a NH-D15.

try uninstalling it in device manager and restart the PC and let it get detected and re-installed
Uninstalling via Device Manager replicated the symptoms vis-a-vis the LCD screen, hopefully that's got it.

Time to resume mining....

Prickly007

Run overnight... no 'Connection to GPU lost' message, but still had a frozen value in HWINFO.

Maybe that's a sign it should be disabled. :haha:

sswilson

Staff member
Are there any drivers relating to the keyboard's display? Have you tried uninstalling all software/drivers relating to that?

Other than that.... a nuke/pave is probably the quickest way forward so long as you've got all of your personal files backed up.

CCleaner used to have a decent removal function, and I believe they've resolved the security issues they had earlier in the year.

Latest posts

Twitter