What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Console gaming is dying? Well CNN thinks so.

b1lk1

CNN is rubbish on a good day. Console gaming is not dying anytime soon, the real problem is big business milking consoles for every penny they can before they move on to newer/better since they can.

Desiato

Xbox 360 is doing alright:

Xbox 360 shines bright in otherwise dismal game market | Microsoft - CNET News

One of the problems in the games industry is that it has become so massive. Budgets are massive, teams are massive, and because games take years to complete, the risks are also massive--look at how much the tech industry has changed the past 3-5 years.

Phones and tablets don't just have Microsoft spooked; game publishers and investors are equally spooked. Factor in the poor economy and it's not at all surprising that the industry has been milking existing consoles instead of investing in new platforms.

Another consideration is that the "core" gaming market for consoles has been stagnate in terms of attracting new audiences. Depending on the methodology, the average age of the core gamer is 30-38. To me, that suggests fragility. How much longer are old guys like me going to keep paying? How much longer can we keep playing before we're RSI'd out?

Big considerations when you're the one making the decision to greenlight a 50-100 million dollar title or billion dollar console launch.

Personally, I think that as the currently fast development of mobile tech slows down, people will again have more time and money for cutting edge consoles.

JJThomp

CNN is rubbish on a good day. Console gaming is not dying anytime soon, the real problem is big business milking consoles for every penny they can before they move on to newer/better since they can.

Yeah and I work with a lot of students and when they got Halo 4 they were like "OMG the graphics are so good" and I just didn't know what to say. As long as people keep thinking the product they are getting is always new and better there isn't much of a need to chaneg the hardware.

grinder

finally, a good dose of reality on this thread.

grinder

The only thing the article gets right... is that console gaming is losing a little piece of market share due to social network gaming on PC's or tablets, smartphones. None of which is competition to block-buster titles built around the console platform. Kind of a "duh" article, except for CNN's flare for "the sky is falling" take on everything they report.

elmorejohn46

I don't see console gameing dying ,when the new XBOX720 and the playstation 4 comes out they will sell very good ,with the upgraded CPU and GPU ,because if you are just a gamer it will be cheaper to buy one of them then it would a decent compter because the quality on the 360 still looks prety good .When the new consoles come out people are going to want that extra details in there games.

redhammer956

End of current Console Generation before new ones are released not surprised at all.. Turn over of Consoles will become more and more short. I myself find most mobile gaming as a long running fad.. let see Wii then mobile gaming now indie its just 1 fad to another hey it make people money....Is it me though it seems there is much more shovelware releases year by year

DETERMINOLOGY

I dont see consoles fading out but people going are converting more into pc gaming knowing that they can get their moneys worth

Latest posts