What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Contemplating a wood PC

S_G

So, I was in Home Depot earlier today picking up some paint. Walked past some wood that was on sale, and I thought "what the hell, why not?" I think I want to build a computer case out of wood. I know it's been done before, but it hasn't been done by ME, and Jebus knows that I sure as hell need more things to fill out my day.

Any opinions? Really, I could use any wood (suggestions, please), but the ones that piqued my interest were about 1/4" thick x 3" wide x maybe 12" long, give or take a few inches. They were cut so that they "mold" into each other, so you can easily attach more pieces. This saves me the trouble of doing any fancy cutting out of larger pieces of wood. I'm guessing about 200 of these little pieces of wood would suffice, including the interior, along with some other minor stuff to put and hold it all together.

Opinions...? Suggestions...? Insults...?

FreqE1

I'd definitely like to see the results but I really can't see you needing that much wood (according to your dimensions). That's 7200 square inches of wood. I don't know what design you have in mind so maybe I'm wrong and too much would be better than not enough.

phil3_66666

i already see a lot of wood computer casa on google.. last year i also check to build one and i understand that it's more complicated that i think... me and my friend go at her grandfather home(her job is make anything you waht in wood) and he explain to me what wood to use and who to work on it but i forget anything loll:doh:

but if you want it i could send a email to my friend to ask what wood to use... let me know:thumb:

S_G

I'd definitely like to see the results but I really can't see you needing that much wood (according to your dimensions). That's 7200 square inches of wood. I don't know what design you have in mind so maybe I'm wrong and too much would be better than not enough.
No, you're right. I'm on crack. About 12 pieces for the front and back, another 32 pieces for the sides, and maybe another 32 for the interior. So, about 100 pieces should do it (giving myself room for errors here).

i already see a lot of wood computer casa on google.. last year i also check to build one and i understand that it's more complicated that i think... me and my friend go at her grandfather home(her job is make anything you waht in wood) and he explain to me what wood to use and who to work on it but i forget anything loll:doh:

but if you want it i could send a email to my friend to ask what wood to use... let me know:thumb:
I'd appreciate that! As it stands now I'm like a caveman trying to understand fire.

bushwhacker

my tendency would be to use a wood veneer laminated (glue - contact cement) to the sides and top of an existing case. Build a solid wood front face plate that has been routed as necessary. Done. The size of the case wouldn't be dramatically larger the case used and one would have all the necessary interior functionality in place.

phil3_66666

i ask my friend... so he talk about " épinette blanche ou noir" i know what is in french but dont know in english:blarg:

anyone can translate???

why this? light, strong, not expensive and that was easy to '' teindre '' dont know it in english to loll

Edit: thw name of the wood im thinking about is Black spruce or white spruce

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Well, my french isn't good but this former softwood lumber salesman thinks "epinette" is pine. And while it is easy to work, it's also very easy to dent or scratch because it is so soft. I have some pine chairs from IKEA that you can mark with your thumbnail.

It all depends on the finish or look you want. But if you want it to stand the test of time, fir would be about the softest lumber I'd use. A nice maple, cherry, or walnut hardwood (depending on color of finish wanted) would be great. Heck, you could do it out of a sheet of birch plywood with veneer tape covering the cut edges. Ideally, you're building it like a nice piece of furniture that you'll keep for years.

My $.02. I've been thinking about the same type of project myself. But I gotta finish my tech station first.

EDIT: Ooops, apparently, it's Spruce, not Pine, but they are from the same family of trees with the same characteristics to the wood.

Last edited:

cwestwell

I would use Pine because it is cheap and then stain/varnish and polish it...I refinished a guitar for my girlfreind a couple years ago that was a pine top..I sanded it down to a baby smooth finish that exposed the grain really nice then applied 10 coats of black stain the first 2 with a sponge and the last 8 in different patterns and styles with a little brush..then I applied 3 coats of marine lacquer sanded that down to a smooth rough finish then polished the piss out of it with a heavy wax based polish....and wow when the light hits it right it looks damn fine....however black wood is a useless to some people because it disguises the grain in bad lighting so you may stain it any color you want only you want to apply many uniform coats if you are going for a natural finish...I am a fan of Cheery Wood stain on Pine...or you could get fancy and buy Maple or Cherrywood...

I believe "épinette blanche ou noir" = white or black spruce

S_G

Hmm, black spruce... Seems like I should probably look for a stronger wood. I will look into it, but the only issue is my lack of access to proper tools to cut wood. With the strips of wood that they had, I could simply bond the pieces together. I'm going to see if I can do this for less than $200. Anything more than that, and I'd just be better off buying tools.

Latest posts