What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

contract about to expire...looking for best new options and need suggestions / advice.

Mr. Friendly

so my 2 year contract with Fido expires end of March and while my phone is fine, I'd like an Apple Watch (which Fido doesn't offer) and my wife needs something to replace her aging iPhone 6 Plus. Fido wants me to pay $115 for the same service I get for $85 now and fluff out $400 for an entry level iPhone 11 (which I'd give to my wife). the only carrot they're giving me is a $168 bill credit.

taking a look at Rogers, they have an option for a family plan with 2 lines sharing 10GB for $75 / each, plus $40/m for an iPhone 11.

anyone know of other deals out there or suggestions on how to negotiate and get what I want? I can live without the Apple Watch...but I'd like to try one if it doesn't create a killer bill.

sswilson

Staff member
How much data do you normally use? Koodo normally has very competitive plan pricing (quick look is $55 w/ 4GB, and then $30 for their medium tab. Their deals on phones aren't as good as they used to be, but they often offer a fairly hefty "phone credit" which is essentially a discount off of retail pro-rated over the life of a 2 year contract.

Basically if the phone credit is $480 you'd owe them $40 X how many months left in a 2yr contract but if you stayed for the full 2 years you wouldn't owe them anything on the phone. This is different from the "Tab" which is the monthly amount you pay for the phone (again pro rated over 2 yrs with the balance being owed back if you change your plan in under 24 months).

edit: Hrmmmm.... looks like their phone credits for iOS devices aren't all that hot.... Android phones are typically in the multiples of $100, a quick look suggests that they're offering under $100 for their apple devices.

If it were me, I'd be keeping a close eye on the RFD cell phone hot deal threads for a deal to come up that looks appealing to you... you've got some time on your hands before you have to jump, and there aren't any really hot deals out there ATM. It only takes hours to switch over to a new plan/provider so there's no rush.

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

no...no rush and we're giving the old iPhone to some disadvantaged friends...one of them has an iPhone 4 and the other just got a some version of the 6.

Rupert has a Rogers cellular dealer, so I think I'll go in and see what they can offer.

both my wife n I have 10Gb data...but I think we could share 10Gb and be fine...she only streams music when she's out and about and I'm usually on my WiFi. this month I've used just a hint over 1Gb...8.89Gb left.

JD

Staff member
I think the only carrier with a decent deal on the iPhone 11 is Freedom Mobile currently, they have buy 1 get 1 free on a $75 2yr plan. Not sure if they have coverage in your area though or if you'd be on roaming all the time.

Koodo has the XS for about 50% off if you can live with last gen.

sswilson

Staff member
Fido is on the rogers network right? Do you know anybody who's on the Belus network who can vouch for the kind of service they get?

You're not in a huge market there so there might be significant differences in coverage / quality of service between the two networks. Here in NB, the consensus seems to be that the Bell/Telus network is a better choice than Rogers, it's possible there's enough of a difference in your area to sway you towards one or the other network.

Mr. Friendly

Fido is a Rogers brand...and my son in law and family are on Bell and have no issues. my brother in law is on Telus with his family and no issues there either.

I'm checking out Freedom. who else is there? Koodoo? Public Mobile is out...

grrr...Freedom doesn't have the Apple Watch.

Last edited:

Lpfan4ever

Virgin and Koodo are your best bets. I'm jumping ship from Fido now that my phone's paid off. Koodo has a $8/mo off promotion (for 12 months) right now for BYOP plans, and the $55/4GB plan is eligible. The next step up is $65/7GB and with the $8 off it's decent. The watch is definitely something better to buy outright, then maybe a second line for your wife.

JD

Staff member
Virgin and Lucky are just Bell. Much like Koodo and Public are Telus. Rogers has Chatr and Fido.

I don't think Virgin here has any ties to it's US counterpart beyond branding.

The Apple Watch eSIM only I guess? That might be why Freedom doesn't have it as I don't believe they support that yet.

supaflyx3

Buy your phone's outright and do month to month, you'll save the difference in a year and a half at least. I'm paying $65/m for 20gb unlimited talk & text with Telus, they frequently have similar promos.