What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

contract about to expire...looking for best new options and need suggestions / advice.

sswilson

Staff member

No idea what Freedom's coverage is like where you are (personally I'd stick with Rogers or Bellus networks for coverage) but they've got a 2 line @ $75/line (15GB each) package that comes with 2 "free" iphone 11s. It's in store only though, but on the plus side, it's been confirmed that the $75 (plus tax & 911 fees I'm assuming) is the monthly fee and there's no tab.

Mr. Friendly

No idea what Freedom's coverage is like where you are (personally I'd stick with Rogers or Bellus networks for coverage) but they've got a 2 line @ $75/line (15GB each) package that comes with 2 "free" iphone 11s. It's in store only though, but on the plus side, it's been confirmed that the $75 (plus tax & 911 fees I'm assuming) is the monthly fee and there's no tab.
Yeah...trying to see if a shop here is still a partner...otherwise the closest Freedom shop is about a 9 hour drive from me :p

gingerbee

yeh...no bandwidth for additional payments. if I can keep the new plan to the $200 I currently pay for our two subscriptions, we'll be good.
Omg 200$ is crazy high I think. Buy a 200-300$ Samsung/Huawei/Honor phones and go monthly no contract with one of the many other companies that are really just bell or rogers and the network coverage almost doesn't matter since bell, rogers were ordered by crtc to share networks hence why their coverage is the same for the 2 main networks

for the 3 phones in my house right now we all have unlimited data/north American calling and global SMS or a total of 160$ a month. I never use plans you always pay more for the same services on the same networks.

If you own your cell phone you don't need a freedom shop we set ours up online haven't been into a store for years all online setup/managed

only people I know who need lte/4g is online gamers everything else works great on 3g. 2 cells would cost me just over 100 a month

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_mobile_phone_companies

if you look there a reason all the top 3 big boys have the same coverage cause they share towers

there my2cents good luck anyone which way you go.

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

yeah...I may just buy a cheap Android phone and give my wife my iPhone 8 Plus. but if I can get the deal from Freedom, 2x iPhone 11 with 10 or 15GB plans for $75/each, I will. then I'll sell my iPhone for $500 and win win, right? ;)

Cannon Fodder

if you look there a reason all the top 3 big boys have the same coverage cause they share towers
While I know that Bell & Telus have a reciprocal agreement to use each other's towers, unless you've seen something about that, I kinda doubt that Rogers is doing the same. While coverage for those 3 is quite similar, it's definitely not "the same". For instance, at our place, the reception via either Bell or Telus is fairly poor, but with Rogers it's actually quite good. When looking at this cell tower map, I can actually see why: Canadian Cell Towers

sswilson

Staff member
While I know that Bell & Telus have a reciprocal agreement to use each other's towers, unless you've seen something about that, I kinda doubt that Rogers is doing the same. While coverage for those 3 is quite similar, it's definitely not "the same". For instance, at our place, the reception via either Bell or Telus is fairly poor, but with Rogers it's actually quite good. When looking at this cell tower map, I can actually see why: Canadian Cell Towers
Yeah, depending on region there usually appears to be a better choice between either bellus or rogers network (and their second/third tier brands). Here in NB the Bell network seems to have better overall coverage.

gingerbee

to my knowledge, the CRTC has ordered them to share ( for economic growth ) but only in places where a said company doesn't have towers and the other company does. basically I think it was done to prevent monopoly's

I am pretty sure if the company wants better coverage in a said area but doesn't have towers there the company with the towers has to sell them coverage hence why someplace work better for rogers and some bell. just how much they want to cover said area ( its there choice )

here in Orillia, you would think both are great from the tower coverage they both have, yet bell has been much worse over the years.

this is all based on what I have been told by a friend who works for rogers wireless and what I read online.
of course, go with what has the best reception in your area
good luck hope you get what you want

Mr. Friendly

well, Belus looks to have a lot of towers in Rupert, but Rogers only one or two. I'm color blind so reading color coded maps, charts and stuff is hard on me. Freedom has service in the township of Rupert, but it goes to nothing as soon as you leave...fortunately it piggy backs on everyone else, so is still a non-issue for me.

Lysrin

Late to this thread, but I have similar experience as sswilson. Here in NS I started out with Rogers but the coverage was terrible anywhere outside of the main urban areas. That was 5+ years back now I believe, so coverage may be better with them now.

I switched to Koodo, been with them ever since. They are under Telus I believe, but here Telus and Bell use the same tower infrastructure so same coverage.

Latest posts

Twitter