What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

contract about to expire...looking for best new options and need suggestions / advice.

freeagent

I’m with TELUS, I pay 75 a month for my line which has 10gb shared data, and I pay 35 for my xs max 256. I have two lines total with 20gb shared.

Cannon Fodder

well, Belus looks to have a lot of towers in Rupert, but Rogers only one or two. I'm color blind so reading color coded maps, charts and stuff is hard on me. Freedom has service in the township of Rupert, but it goes to nothing as soon as you leave...fortunately it piggy backs on everyone else, so is still a non-issue for me.
Ok then, given the colour blind situation, here's how it looks, when filtering the players in the Rupert area: Freedom has 3 towers, Rogers has 4, Telus has 6 (which includes 1 on Digby Island, and 1 in Port Edward), and CityWest has 6.

Mr. Friendly

City West is no longer a cellular service...they shut down their wireless stuff 7 years ago. they likely piggy backed off of the 6 Telus towers.

I still really would like Freedom Mobile though...

Mr. Friendly

so, I've found out a couple of things about using a budget phone. one, I can live with the performance of a mid-range CPU and two, small screens suck so bad. I MUST have a phone with a BIG screen.

I've made posts in the past looking for Phablets...so I'll be doing that again now. I want 6.5" or bigger, if at all possible.

Bond007

so, I've found out a couple of things about using a budget phone. one, I can live with the performance of a mid-range CPU and two, small screens suck so bad. I MUST have a phone with a BIG screen.

I've made posts in the past looking for Phablets...so I'll be doing that again now. I want 6.5" or bigger, if at all possible.
Sounds like you should look at models that are a couple years old if you want to keep costs down. Bang for buck lives there. Alternatively the mid range market does occasionally have some stand outs. Unfortunately I know nothing about phones in that size...I avoid them at all costs.

JD

Staff member
The Xiaomi Redmi Note is always a good contender for large screen and low price. Generally I believe they're compatible with our networks here too.

Mr. Friendly

Samsung A50/A70, or 51/71 if they've started to show up
looks like I want the A70/A71...6.7" screen! :O

edit - oooh, the Redmi Note 10 Pro is just shy of 6.5", but has a CPU I know I wouldn't be sad about at all...the Snapdragon 730. do these sell in Canada officially?

hmmm...A71 is significantly cheaper than the Mi Note 10 Pro and same CPU. that said, the A70 is cheaper and the performance difference between teh 675 and 730 is minimal.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Officially? I don't think so. You should be able to find resellers here though. Swiftronics carries some in Ontario for example. I've seen them at Canada Computers in the past too I think. I'm sure there's some stores out your way that would too. AliExpress is where most would turn to. B&H Photo carries some too if the USA is preferable over China.

Note 10 Pro is straight Xiaomi, likely a little more expensive. The Redmi Note 9 just came out today. Redmi is the more budget oriented Xiaomi from what I gather, targeted at India.

This seems a decent deal: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1513283-REG/xiaomi_xia_n8_64gb_blk_redmi_note_8_64gb.html
EDIT: I guess it's about the same in Canada too: https://swiftronics.ca/products/xia...8-8-2-2mp-4000mah?_pos=2&_sid=bc6857bc9&_ss=r