What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Conundrum

IRQ Conflict

Hey people. Long time no post. ;P When I first upgraded my system two years ago I decided to go with a Ryzen 7 2700X. At the time 3200Mhz ram was the sweet spot and as per usual two sticks were recommended for best performance but now I'm hearing four sticks work best with the new 5000 series. I can still aquire the same memory kit that I have but that would mean I'd have a total of 64 GB's of ram which is way overkill for my needs. I thought I'd get 32Gb's of ram and be set for years to come. Now I'm a little bummed to find out that having only two sticks could cost as much as ten percent of my performance!? What would you do?

lowfat

Staff member
4 sticks isn't necessarily better. You want 4 ranks of memory. If you are using 16GB sticks, then they are more than likely dual rank sticks. So 4 total, which is optimal.

Checked your specs, 'Trident Z DDR4 3200 CAS 14'. Willing to bet that is b-die memory if its a few years old. Can you post the model number or the rest of the specified timings? If so you absolutely do not need to upgrade. They'll likely run to 3800MHz+ no problem w/ pretty tight timings.

Coach

I think I would eat the 10% performance hit and live with it. I doubt 10% is tangible.

Bond007

Agree with lowfat. Some info out there is incomplete. Dual rank is what you want, not necessarily 4 sticks. 2xdual rank sticks or 4 x single rank sticks. Your 16gb sticks are almost guaranteed to be dual rank, so you should be golden. I wouldn’t change anything other than OCing them, if they will, with a cpu upgrade.

IRQ Conflict

Thanks for your help guy's. Yes, they are dual rank modules B-Die. I was never able to OC them, chocked it up to memory controller on the CPU, but I don't know. Used DRAM calculator to fine tune the timings but that netted no tangible benefit. Keep in mind that it's all new to me meaning I didn't/don't know what I'm doing lol. I'll attach the specs for them. But it sounds good to me. That's three hundred I'd rather spend towards a CPU/GPU upgrade.

Attachments

• Safe.png
    Safe.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 3

Bond007

Thanks for your help guy's. Yes, they are dual rank modules B-Die. I was never able to OC them, chocked it up to memory controller on the CPU, but I don't know. Used DRAM calculator to fine tune the timings but that netted no tangible benefit. Keep in mind that it's all new to me meaning I didn't/don't know what I'm doing lol. I'll attach the specs for them. But it sounds good to me. That's three hundred I'd rather spend towards a CPU/GPU upgrade.
You may have better luck with the ram on a new cpu.

lowfat

Staff member

You should only be really used as a guideline. LLT did a decent video on using it.

Last edited:

Jokester

Even though it's time consuming the overclockers out there say the best results are doing one timing at a time and testing stability. They dispise the dram calculator lol