What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress Cooler Master Mastercase Racing 5 / Pro Custom PC Build

Mnpctech

gulf_porsche_1b_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBTq88-aUdI

Finally, I get to build something for myself :D The opportunity presented itself after Cooler Master sent me their new Mastercase 5 ($109.99) to evaluate and brainstorm retail accessories / bolt-on custom parts as part of their "Make it Yours" campaign. The Mastercase Pro is the same chassis as mastercase 5, but includes window panel and top cover for $139.99. If I kept waiting for personal time to build a PC for myself, it would have never happened due to lack of free time. I have to admit, I didn't like the Mastercase at first. I captured my mod zoo staff/friends unbox Mastercase 5 / Pro in my VLOG. I feel Cooler Master missed a lot of details that could have made the case even better. Especially since CM marketed it as "modular" and designed for DIY liquid cooling. It falls 40% from it's marketing pitch, but the overall build quality and finish is outstanding and eventually won me over after dismantling and re-assembling the case. Here is my final thoughts about the Mastercase, keeping in mind that I look at cases from perspective as PC Customizer and Case Modder.

RAVES:
*Overall Build Quality, Fit & finish.
*Top panel / cover design options are nice.
*Modular HD/SSD tray design and mounting options are best to date.
*240/360/280 radiator option for front is nice.

My suggestions REVISIONS:
*Top radiator mounting location should be offset, to clear DDR slots on some motherboards
*100% Riveted chassis?! I understand using rivets over screws to save time in manufacturing, but at minimum, the mid section floor should be removable for better access.
*Lack of Water pump and reservoir mounting. CM's competitors started embracing DIY cooling market over year ago, by including mounting options for reservoirs and water pumps.
*Mastercase 5/ Pro window panel is very flimsy. The "smoked" poly window is bluish/purple and has very poor clarity for viewing inside the case.

gulf_porsche_2_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_1c_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Inspiration for the custom painted exterior will be the 1970 Porsche 917 from Steve McQueen's "Le Mans" movie. His 917 from the movie was chassis #022 and purchased in 1970 from Porsche by Steve McQueen's movie production company, Solar Productions. It was also the company that would bring the movie "Le Mans" to the big screen. This is the car that McQueen's character, Michael Delaney, starts the race in, and "crashes" late in the race, "writing the car off." The car that was crashed was really a Lola T-70, painted and rebodied, to look like a 917. Many innovations in cinematography, were first tried in this movie. They even went so far, as to weld brackets to the front frame work of the 917, so they could mount a camera to shoot Steve, and the other drivers, in the cockpit.

mastercase_5_pro_clear_side_window_panel_mod_cooler_master_mnpctech7.jpg

I'll replacing the #20 with #5 to represent the Mastercase 5 and using this clear side panel.

gulf_porsche_9l_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Cooler Master Mastercase 5 Chassis assembled with final coat of Gulf Racing Blue paint from 1970 Porsche 917 race car

gulf_porsche_9m_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Porsche 917 inspired graphics are finished on the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 / Pro. Next stage is clearcoating everything.

gulf_porsche_9y_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Last edited:

Mnpctech

Thank you for watching and commenting!

gulf_porsche_7_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

The front I/O panel on the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 / Pro is a bit bland for this theme. I decided to modify it with something that looks more race car appropriate. l'll start with steel face plate and chose some switches and controls from Mnpctech that include a red Fighter Pilot with momentary toggle for Main Power. The reset will be blue anodized vandal resistant push. I also found a VDO brand 12 volt gauge from the center console of a Volkswagen Rabbit GTI. I'd love to find some mounting bezels for 5mm LEDs for Power & HD activity.

gulf_porsche_8_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

The switches will be mounted with Mnpctech's billet vandal switch mounting plate. Here is all of the custom switch and toggle parts with links to their product pages. Mnpctech is the only source for "Military Pilot" Toggle switches modified for use with your custom PC. Fighter Pilot / Race Car Ignition Toggle Start with red cover,*PC Switch Plates

spst_toggle_pc_computer_install_guide_power_reset_red_fighter_pilot_mnpctech1.jpg

blue_anodized_bulgin_lamptron_mod_toy_vandal_pc_computer_dell_hp_power_reset_button1.jpg

Order blue vandal switch for your PC power or reset, PC Switch Plates

SPST (Push for Momentary, IP-67 rated, CMP #MP19S-F10, Flush Flat Button, Metal Body, SPST-NO, Push button switch. Mounts in a 3/4" hole. Contacts Rated 5A @ 110VAC, 5A @ 220VAC. Compression screw Terminals. VDE/CE listed, RoHS Compliant.<br>

lamptron.delrin.bulgin.silvervandalswitch2.jpg

Order Mnpctech Pro-Line Two switch mounting plate, PC Switch Plates

Mounting plate has 22mm hole and 16mm hole. It fits Bulgin, Delrin, Lamptron, and ModMyToy Vandal Resistant Switches. Machined by Mnpctech in 6061 billet aluminum. Length = 3.5" x Width = 1.5" x Thickness = 3/16" Bulgin Mounting Plate Includes: 4, 6/32 x 3/4"screws and nuts.

gulf_porsche_9a_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

Replace your PC Power or PC Reset button with this Blue Anodized Vandal Resistant Switch. Made of Nickel Plated Brass.

gulf_porsche_9b_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9c_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9d_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9e_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9f_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9g_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9h_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9i_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_vdo_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

LED_5mm_holder_black_darkside_superbright.jpg

darkside_5mm_sleeved_led_gaming_pc_computer_case_mymods_newegg_mnpctech.jpg

Darkside 5mm pre-sleeved custom PC LEDS, Darkside Dazmode UV White Red Blue Green Orange PC LED LIGHTS

darkside_5mm_superbright_sleeved_led_gaming_pc_computer_case_mymods_newegg_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_vdo2_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_vdo3_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_vdo4_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

The upper portion of the black base for the RED Toggle Switch will be shortened later.

sswilson

Staff member
Looks amazing!

Always love seeing your worklogs, especially the fact that you go into detail on the process rather than just posting up the finished product. Gives us Red Green types new avenues to explore. :)

10e

Amazing start Bill.

This is a nice job on a very good quality case. Though I have to agree the whole thing needs to get gutted and all the rivets replaced by M4 screws. I love the mod on the mid-floor and front I/O plate.

One thing, in terms of the front radiator, there is so much space between the metal chassis and front grill, a 35mm or 30mm 360mm radiator plus fans actually fits there.

I hope I didn't spoil anything :)

Wicked15

Love that Orange! I did the entire inside of my old case that Color.

Looking forward to this build for sure.

Mnpctech

@sswilson, Thank you for watching and commenting! :thumb:

@10e, not at all, and I'm planning to mount EK XTX 360 in front, still debating about type of grill I want to create for it, either laser cut acrylic, or mill something. CM will be releasing full tower version of the Mastercase this year, which should hopefully address what the lack of features in this version.

@Jokester, yes, the colors really compliment one another as combo. The Pastel Blue reminds me of Easter Egg as stand alone color.

@Wicked, Yes, always loved Orange themes. Reminds me of early 70s Mopar

Parts laid out with final clear coat. Time to pop rivet!

gulf_porsche_9z1_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z2_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z3_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z4_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_1_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

PC_chassis_black_3_replace_pop_rivet_size_mnpctech.jpg

Black Powdercoated 1/8" Pop Rivets, PC Pop Rivets

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_2_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_3_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_4_cooler_master_mastercase_gaming_pc_case_mod_mnpctech.jpg

jalmir

those powder coated rivets ... the attention to details on those builds is simply amazing. That's what sets your work apart from the rest! I was going to say "if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing", but then realized "[...]it's worth doing properly" would actually be better suited!

Gotta go and clean my keyboard after all that drooling!

Latest posts