What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W Power Supply Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
CM750-4.jpg

Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W Power Supply Review

Product Number: RS-750-ACAA-A1
Price: $130CAD
Packaging: Retail
Fan Size: 1X 120mm
Warranty: 5-Year
Availability: Now
Manufacturer’s Product Page: Cooler Master

Cooler Master is one of those companies whose products span an amazing number of categories and price ranges. From power supplies, to cases to graphics card coolers, Cooler Master has you covered with products of every shape and form while offering them up at very competitive prices. Recently, they have made some significant waves in the industry by releasing the stunning Cosmos and budget-minded 690 cases. On one hand the Cosmos is the pinnacle of design and excess while on the other hand the CM 690 is a well-designed mid-tower case with lofty aspirations and great ingenuity. While this review isn’t about enclosures, these same observations could be made of Cooler Master’s power supplies; their Real Power series spans from their insane 1250W beast to the more mundane 520W unit in both modular and non-modular flavors. Basically, Cooler Master has something to satisfy everyone’s need and budget. There are also the iGreen and eXtreme Power lines but they are both in the lower-end of the spectrum compared to the Real Power series.

In this review I will be taking a closer look at the Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W which has been available for the last few months. I just had to get my hands on this 750W unit since it is advertised to have a 900W peak (750W continuous) output while retailing for around $130CAD depending on where you look. Add to that the fact that this power supply is 80Plus certified which basically guarantees higher than normal efficiency and this is definitely an interesting product. Looking a little closer at some of the details provided to us, it seems that this particular Cooler Master unit is built by Acbel Polytech which has a bit of a spotted reputation when it comes to manufacturing. In my experience, their lower-end power supplies usually leave a lot to be desired but their higher-spec’d products are usually quite good. It should be interesting to see which quality of power supply the Real Power Pro turns out to be.

Cooler Master has backed up this power supply with a 5-year warranty which is above the industry norm. In addition, in my years of owning various Cooler Master products, their customer service has never done me wrong and their website holds some good support forums. So, with all of that out of the way, let’s crack this thing open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Packaging and Accessories

Packaging and Accessories

CM750-6.jpg
CM750-7.jpg

Cooler Master has stuck to a very neutral and subdued color scheme for the packaging of the Real Power Pro. On the front there is a “teaser” picture of the power supply itself as well as logos for SLI and 80Plus certification. Meanwhile, on the back of the box there is quite a bit more information which entails detailed specifications, a connector count and some highlighted features.

CM750-8.jpg

Once the box is opened one thing is abundantly apparent: this is one well-packaged power supply. The whole box is lined in a form-fitting foam cocoon that protects everything included while the power supply is additionally wrapped in plastic to prevent scratching. Also, there is a small nook carved in the bottom of the foam in order to prevent the Real Power Pro (or RPP as we will call it now and then) from sliding back and forth.

CM750-14.jpg

The accessory “bundle” is really nothing to write home about since all it consists of is a standard power cord, four mounting screws and an instruction / technical manual. Since this is not a modular power supply, I would have liked to have seen some zip ties or Velcro tie-wraps included to make hiding away all those cables a bit easier.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Exterior Impressions

Exterior Impressions

CM750-9.jpg
CM750-10.jpg

Upon first glance, there is nothing that really makes this power supply stand out from the competition but there are a few differences which are noteworthy. The size of the RPP 750W is quite small and compact considering it is rated at an outstanding 900W of peak output; it is actually the exact size of the FSP 400W I tested sometime back. Most of the real-estate is taken up by the top-mounted 120mm intake fan which has a brushed aluminum Cooler Master logo on its central hub. It is also good to see that all of the cables are sleeved all the way into the metal housing.

The back of this Cooler Master unit has the standard metal exhaust grille, power switch and input connector. There is a distinct lack of an input voltage switch due to it being equipped with active PFC.

CM750-11.jpg
CM750-13.jpg

Unlike many power supplies, this one has a light in the back which illuminates to tell you when the unit is turned on. Other than that, it is business as usual on the back-end of the Cooler Master Real Power Pro.

The finish on the exterior of this Cooler Master power supply is a gloss black that is a literal magnet for fingerprints and scratches. For some reason, this finish is becoming more and more common on modern power supplies and I have to say, I’m not a fan. While it looks stunning after taking it out of the box, that lush finish will be marred with scratches in no time. If you do have a power supply here is a bit of a tip if you find it scratched (which you will): use some automotive wax to buff out some of the cosmetic blemishes.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Cables and Connectors

Cables and Connectors

- Molex: 5 Connectors
o 1x 31” (3 connectors)
o 1x 25” (2 connectors)

- SATA: 6 Connectors
o 2x 30 1/2” length (3 connectors each)

- PCI-E 6 Pin: 2 Connectors (on same cable 8-pin PCI-E)
o 2x 25” length

- PCI-E 8 Pin: 2 Connectors
o 2x 19” length

- 4-Pin Floppy: 1 Connector
o 1x 31’’ length (at end of 25” Molex cable)

- 20+4 ATX Connector: 18” length

- 4+4 Pin CPU connector: 19 1/2” length

- 8-Pin CPU Connector: 19 1/2” length

CM750-17.jpg

Overall, the Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W has good cable lengths; they are not too short for most cases but not overly long either. As with all the power supplies I test, I installed this one into a Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 case the cables had no problem reaching any part of my motherboard or graphics cards. On the other hand, there were some issues with cable routing which will be discussed in a bit.

I am happy to report that all of the cables are fully sleeved with form-fitting black mesh. Unlike some units I have tested in the past, the sleeving on this one goes all the way to the last connector on each cable.

CM750-15.jpg
CM750-18.jpg

Usually on non-modular power supplies I like to see a 4+4 pin connector instead of separate connectors for the 8-pin and 4-pin CPU connectors. You might find this petty but I think every effort has to be made to eliminate unnecessary cables on a non-modular power supply and having separate CPU connectors just adds headaches when trying to rout the cables.

Next you can see that the 8 and 6-pin PCI-E connectors are on the same cable. I actually happen to like this approach since it cuts down on the number of cables and it also adds some much-needed length. Now on to the issue I have with routing these PCI-E cables through the case….

CM750-16.jpg

I am not 100% sure what hides behind these bulges near the PCI-E connectors but I am willing to bet they house something akin to the Topower “REMI” technology. That is to say that there is a small bundle of something or other which is SUPPOSED to block interference between the cable and your graphics card. If this is the case, not only is it pointless but it also makes snaking these cables through your case next to impossible. Personally, I like having the ability to push cables through small openings in my case but since these are slightly larger than a standard PCI-E connector, I can’t tuck them away like I may want to. One way or another, they are slightly less of a pain than the bulbous, tumor-like affairs we have seen on some Topower power supplies.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Output Characteristics

Output Characteristics

CM750-12.jpg

The Cooler Master 750W has four +12V rails which are each capable of outputting 19A (228W) for a combined total of 648W (54A) across all the rails combined. Having 19A on tap before the OCP kicks in is definitely a benefit for those of you running heavily overclocked quad core, dual graphics card rigs. On the other hand, when taking into account the +12V dependency of a modern computer, I would have much rather seen the combined +12V output figure hovering around 700W instead of 650W. This is a minor caveat considering the RPP 750W outputs more power than many enthusiasts will likely need.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Interior Impressions

Interior Impressions

CM750-19.jpg

This is the first time I have had the privilege of opening up an AcBel-built power supply and I have to say that I am quite surprised at the quality that I see here. Considering its efficiency is better than 80%, the RPP 750W can use a pair of smallish heatsinks in conjunction with the 120mm fan to disperse the heat generated by the interior components. Both the both the primary and secondary output stages are well-appointed but I have a bit of difficulty believing that this design can output a peak of 900W.

CM750-21.jpg
CM750-22.jpg

The primary and secondary sides present me with my first glance of Elite-made capacitors. The single cap on the primary is a 560uF 85°C affair while the ones on the secondary are all rated at 105°C. Since this capacitor brand is a relative unknown to me, I can’t really comment on their quality other than to say that I have not heard of any widespread failures associated with them.

Something else I would like to point out is the high level of precision fabrication that has gone into this power supply. All of the solder traces are immaculately done and everything is laid out very well on the primary PCB.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Performance Tests

Performance Tests

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz (B3)
Memory: 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600Mhz (Thanks to Corsair)
Motherboard: Asus Blitz Extreme
Graphics Cards: 2X Gigabyte HD2900XT 512MB
Disk Drive: Pioneer DVD Writer
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATAII
Fans: 5X Yate Loon 120mm @ 1200RPM
Monitor: LG Flatron L2000CN-BF (1600X1200)

For our complete power supply testing methodology, please go here: Hardware Canucks Power Supply Testing Methodology

Efficiency Testing

CM750-5.jpg

Throughout the tests, the Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W was extremely efficient when compared to some of the higher-priced competition. This is a very good start to our testing regimen, even though efficiency did drop at higher outputs.

Voltage Regulation Testing

+5V Voltage Regulation

CM750-3.jpg

The readings I got from the +5V rail were very interesting considering they gradually increased as the load ramped up. Thankfully, the readings never went above the ATX specification.

+3.3V Voltage Regulation

CM750-2.jpg

Here we see that the voltage regulation is absolutely superb. So far, this power supply has some of the best +3.3V regulation I have seen in power supplies at or above 700W.

+12V Voltage Regulation

CM750-1.jpg

Good +12V rail regulation is a must on all modern power supplies and the RPP 750W does quite well in this test though it begins to show that it is straining a bit during the system stress test. Personally, I would never put this kind of stress on a 750W power supply in the first place but it goes to prove that this Cooler Master can handle extreme loads quite well.

+12V Ripple

CM750-23.jpg

Here is where I was expecting this power supply to stumble a bit but lo and behold, it performed very well. Ripple says far below ATX specified norms throughout every test. Well done!!

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Heat, Acoustical Footprint and Conclusion

Heat and Acoustical Footprint

Here is another area where the Cooler Master Real Power Pro was a pleasant surprise. Throughout every one of my tests this power supply stayed mercifully quiet even though after an hour of intense testing, its fan picked up a bit.
At the same time I was a bit worried that the lack of fan noise would point to a drastic increase in interior temperatures. Luckily, I was completely wrong; the exhausted air from the rear of the power supply was cooler than I would have expected.

Conclusion

A short time ago I would have said that I had seen enough power supplies that very little would still surprise me. Well, The Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W surprised the hell out of me with its solid performance and high quality construction. The performance I saw is in such stark contrast to the price that I found myself retesting again and again just to make sure this power supply really was performing as good as it was. Cooler Master sweetens the pot even more by backing up their power supply with a 5-year warranty and well-sleeved cables. Speaking about cables, it is great to see a 750W power supply with a full complement of 8-pin PCI-E connectors and cables that reach to nearly any part of a large case. I could go on and on about the all the positive points of the Real Power Pro but we have to go on to what I think could be improved a bit.

There are however a few things keeping Cooler Master from having a perfect power supply. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the finish on the housing and neither will you be once you have installed it. It shows far too many fingerprints and scratches far too easily. Another issue I have with the RPP 750W is the EMI filters which protrude directly behind the PCI-E connectors; these things will cause you fits when trying to route the cables through your case. Lastly, while the +12V regulation was very good, the Real Power Pro did not display the same stability that the top-tier power supplies show time and again.

I can say without a doubt that the Cooler Master Real Power Pro is worth every penny you spend on it. Thus I am giving it a 4.5/5 rating and our Dam Good Value Award.

Pros

- Very good efficiency
- Good voltage regulation & ripple suppression
- 5-year warranty
- Compact size
- Quiet

Cons:

- Finish is scratch-prone
- Battle of the Bulge is fought every time you try to route the PCI-E cables

24046ca51d3bdb93.jpg

24046d2ee78a9861.gif

Thanks to Cooler Master for providing us with this power supply

If you have any questions or comments about our review you can visit this thread: Comment Thread for Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Twitter