What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

cooler recomendations for EVGA GTX 670 FTW cards?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I've got a line on two GTX 670 FTW cards that don't come with coolers as the user had waterblocks on them.

I'm thinking of a slim heatsink that's secured with permanent adhesive and zip strip on a 120mm fan. are there any decent slim / low profile options out there that you would recommend? these will be going into a couple 2008 Mac Pro towers and I need to keep some space for a SATA3 and a USB 3.0 add-in card. there is about 3 slots of space available.

Marzipan

that there is a nifty solution! just have to figure out if it's fully compatible with these 670 FTW. deets say it's compatible with the 670, but there is a footnote that says to measure height to ensure it will fit.

I wonder if it's performance is better than what the stock cooler provided.

Marzipan

I don't think glue would be strong enough to hold a slab of metal upside down. AC Accelero Mono seem promising.

oh...I should mention, no idea if they would actually fit...but the 1900 XT came with an extension that had one end slide into a rail to give it additional support so it couldn't torque the PCIe slot or anything.

moocow

You could use epoxy if there's enough surface area around the die / chip. But you have to put down enough to ensure the gap between the heatsink and board is filled. My original comment was referring to using thermal adhesive. I seriously doubt the chip / die surface is meant to have weight pulled on it since most cards have their die upside down when mounted in the PCI-E slot. This approach also remove the possibility of replacing the thermal paste later unless you are planning on tossing it in the recycle bin later. A quick Google search show other FTW owners using Mono Plus cooler and there doesn't seem to have any compatibility issues. Considering the $20 USD price, it's a pretty fair solution.

sswilson

Staff member
I emailed Arctic Cooling's tech team and they said that these cards use the reference cooler, so to grab the Twin Turbo III for these cards.

I thought you needed "slim"? The AC GFX coolers are decent enough performers, but they're anything but "slim".... :)

Latest posts