What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus AMD Installation & Clearance

ASharp

the mounting system on the H212+ imo is its best feature
You got that right. Using AMD for the last few years, I've developed a great appreciation for coolers that have a mounting system that accommodates AMD's asymmetrical retention.

The Hyper 212+ is definitely one of the better (if not the best) system I've seen on a heatsink in terms of AMD mounting ability. Granted, the X-bracket itself is a bit flimsy IMO but it works and is flexible in orientation which I absolutely love about this thing. I've moved on to the D14 now though. :haha:

low351

Hmmm rethink?

Geez for $30 at NCIX this is a nice cooler, I've heard it can get decent overclocked temps as well. In fact since my Corsair H50 is faltering I should probably get one of these as a back, after all it's just the price of a case of beer :thumb:, so what's one less case this weekend... hehe.

I can't believe I didn't notice this guide earlier but it's never to late to say "nice job! sswilson", and don't think I didn't notice that lapped cpu, you perfectionist... :clap:

sswilson

Staff member
Geez for $30 at NCIX this is a nice cooler, I've heard it can get decent overclocked temps as well. In fact since my Corsair H50 is faltering I should probably get one of these as a back, after all it's just the price of a case of beer :thumb:, so what's one less case this weekend... hehe.

I can't believe I didn't notice this guide earlier but it's never to late to say "nice job! sswilson", and don't think I didn't notice that lapped cpu, you perfectionist... :clap:

Heh... as much as I'd like to take credit for going the extra mile, that's not a lapped CPU, it's a CPU that's had its labeling worn off by IC7...... ;)

rjbarker

Threw this Cooler in my wifes recent new build, imo its "an ok $30" cooler, but doesn't perform anywhere near as well as my $69 TRUE.....you get what you pay for. Great mounting system though!

Wheels_78

I've got nothing to directly compare it to because I'm using my 212+ in my very first hombuilt currently and I never bothered to install the OEM cooler. BUT, earlier tonight I had my unlocked x3 455 folding for about an hour and a half @ 4Ghz 1.52V (loaded) and temps never broke 47 degrees (In an antec 1200 all fans 100%, ambient 22). I definetly feel like I got all I paid for!

fortkentdad

A little crooked

I posted my rig pics over at KitGuru FKD's rig at KitGuru

Some noticed that in this picture you can see that the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is not on straight.

1377168_570741246327051_595435989_n.jpg

I had the Cooler (and the APU and RAM) preinstalled on my motherboard when I bought it back a year ago at Memory Express and never noticed that it was not installed squarely. It is possible that I moved it off square when I moved the motherboard into my new R4 case - it's possible.

It's been working well - APU temps get up to about 40°-45° C or so when gaming and normally run in the mid 30's. That seems cool enough. My HD 7970 on the otherhand gets up to about 65°C during gaming - but that I understand is normal temps for a gpu.

But I would like it to be straight - part of my compulsive order disorder :)

What do I need to do to straighten this out? I could just loosen the bracket and give it a bit of twist, BUT I think I'd need to remove the cooler unit, clean the old paste off and re-paste it, then put the bracket back on. Am I right about this?

Or live with it a little bit off square? Obviously it works.

FYI for this column, if anyone is wondering a Hyper 212+ does work on the FM2 socket (A10 APU) even though when I bought it that was not listed on the box and I just checked and it is not listed on their website. I trust that is not why it is on a bit crooked?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I don't know about an AMD mount with the 212, but on an Intel mount I would just twist it back straight...

sswilson

Staff member
Hrmmmmm.... that's a bit strange....

334a77e09b93150.jpg

That pin is what keeps the HSF aligned and I didn't think it was possible to install the heatsink without having it aligned N/S or E/W.

Not sure what to tell you WRT to taking it off to check it out.... I'm a big fan of not messing with stuff if it's working...... ;)

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
There is some slack in the pin - from a technical stand-point, the pin diameter is smaller than the bracket hole. It's called a clearance hole. Why CM did that? No idea.... FKD, twist it. No need to remount unless there is clear evidence that the bracket clearance hole is not aligning with the pin.

fortkentdad

That was Easy

There is some slack in the pin - from a technical stand-point, the pin diameter is smaller than the bracket hole. It's called a clearance hole. Why CM did that? No idea.... FKD, twist it. No need to remount unless there is clear evidence that the bracket clearance hole is not aligning with the pin.

Like the commercial says "that was easy".

Perhaps too easy. It twisted back to square no problem. Thought I'd tighten it up a bit but decided not to bother as I see I'd have to remove the fans. I probably knocked it off square when I installed the new CM R4 LED fans. I would think it should be a little tighter than it is but I guess as long as it works - and now it is straight - all is well. I'll monitor the CPU temp's and if they are cool enough it is working eh?

---------

Curious question, when I listed New Posts I was disappointed to see no replies to this post - then looked at posts by me and there were all these replies. Why didn't these replies show up in New posts?

Latest posts