What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CORSAIR Damage Claim! AX1200

ryetgr

Hello everyone,

I am posting this in hopes of gaining some info on how to proceed and what to expect.

I was having multiple issues with my pc, so I had it brought in to my local repair shop. After all diagnostics weer performed, it was reported:

The power supply is defective (CORSAIR AX1200)- Thorough diagnostics on the PSU: The voltages seem fine through PSU testing device, but the manual tests that were conducted showed the PSU to be the cause of all other hardware issues. The problems are as follows
- freezes at bios
- pc restarts on its own
- functions properly without issues with another power supply
- due to bad psu the other components listed below were affected

Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
Motherboard is partially defective (SATA3 controller & network Port (bottom) )

GPUS: Nvidia GTX580 3GB SLI
1 GPU is okay, the second is DEFECTIVE

Sound: Asus Xonar Phoebus
DEFECTIVE

HDD: Seagate 3TB x Qty 2
BOTH DEFECTIVE

As you can see, this is quite a lot of damage.
I bought the parts late 2011,with exception of the sound card and Hard drives, which were bought later (hard drives 2012, have to verify on sound card)
The power supply should be fine to replace under its 7 year warranty.

My question is: hat can I expect from Corsair in replacing my motherboard, GPU, sound card and two 3TB hard drives? Am I going to get screwed or will Corsair be compensating me for this havoc.

I am interested in hearing from anyone on how I should go about this, as it would be very expensive to replace if the Corsair damage claims denies me.....

Full build below:
Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
GPUS: Nvidia GTX580 3GB SLI
Sound: Asus Xonar Phoebus
HDD: Seagate 3TB x Qty 2
cpu not affected but i7 2600k
ssd not affected

edgxunil

ryetgr, do you have any proof that it's Corsair PSU that causes the damages? Unless you have concrete evidences clearly show that Corsair is at fault, any sane manufacturer will deny your claim. (OTH, If you can cause public relation problem for them, then perhaps they will do it for you.)

BootlegUsher

If this is a licensed PC repair shop with people who have computer electronics education they should be able to provide all the proof Corsair needs.

clshades

I'll say it since nobody else has. Don't let them say no... keep pushing them until they fold. Every company is gonna push back in these sorts of situations your job is to not take NO for an answer.

THS

Any update ?

I have an AX1200 and it runs fine. It was a replacement through RMA.

My HX1000 RMA story...

Original HX1000 died -> HX1050 terrible coil whine -> 2nd HX1050 Dead on arrival -> 3rd HX1050 Terrible coil whine loud fan -> AX1200 works great.

I was supposed to send those defective HX1050s back but I forgot and still have em lying around lol. Corsair forgot too I guess. I'm not paying shipping now and if they don't ask then I won't bother lol

Long story short their customer support is awesome. I am sure they will pay for damages.

PS: Corsair actually mailed me an extra replacement HX1000 too without knowing which I eventually ended up selling hehehe

ryetgr

Here's my update:

I recently sent back my AX1200 PSU along with most of my subsequently damage PC, and received an itemized reimbursement offer. I want to know what I can do to get a reimbursement that is more "fair". It was hard for me to find the current market value of my parts, since they were purchased at the beginning of '12, but they were quite expensive and I fear trying to replace any of the damaged components with the total they suggest is not going to be a good time.

My stance is that they admitted they ruined my computer, and now either they eat the cost, or I do. I would rather it be the former. Even on top of parts replacement, I paid hefty diagnostic charges ($200), lost my personal data, and time and effort involved in the RMA. If the company is taking responsibilty for damaging my computer, and they understand the model of PSU is only going to be in a high end rig, reimbursements should be in line.

Please tell me if what I'm saying makes sense, as I really don't want to have to buy a new rig, I don't think I have the budget for it right now.. and my setup was no where near needing to be replaced when the damage kicked in.. I mean I had great SLI and everything. The summary of the reimbursement offer is below:

CORSAIR:
"Our Engineering Team tested all the parts and based on the results, our Power Supply unit caused the damage to your components.

We will offer the following compensation based on current market value:
EVGA Geforce GTX580 QTY 1 $128 USD or $159 CAD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB QTY 2 $160 USD or $199 CAD
AsRock Z67 Extreme7 Gen3 QTY 1 $111 USD or $138 CAD
i7 2600k QTY 1 - $85 USD or $105 CAD
TOTAL REIMBURSEMENT $483 USD or $602 CAD

Here are my item by item comments,
- They offer $128 USD on my GTX 580. First of all, I had the 3GB version, which they don't specify, however more importantly, I have a second one and was running my rig SLI. Good luck to me getting my SLI working again, they expect me to replace it was $128 USD??
- The 3TB hard drives, honestly I can't replace them with $160 but it's probably more reasonable than their offering on the other items.
AsRock MOBO - $111 USD.. I'm probably going to need to spend a lot more than that to get a mobo..............
i7 2600k - $85 USD.. this seems like a low ball offer, I don't think I'll get very far with it.

One the positive side of things, they will upgrade the ax1200 to a new ax1200i when i accept their offer.

All in all, since I haven't responded to Corsair yet, and since this was their first attempt at contacting me with an offer, should there be a course to improve my position here? I appreciate their company's offer, but at the end of the day I HAVE to replace all of these parts, and think their reimbursement may fall very short of that. Not to mention I ate the diagnostic costs from my local repair shop,

Anyone have some tips on how to proceed?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I'd keep pushing.

Do some research on the used market (recent Ebay completed sales for IDENTICAL items should be fine.) and include the receipt for the diagnosis you had to pay, plus shipping costs.

They're pritty much screwed. They've admitted fault. They'll have to give you resonable costs, otherwise your small claims court case is all but a victory (Caveat: IANAL, see sig block).

Bond007

Honestly I think their price offerings are generous per part except for the 2600k...I would have said that would be $160CDN.

Getting $159CDN for a 580 is an amazing price. Sell your other one and get something better an newer (single card).

If it was me I would argue the 2600k price and then accept. Yes you will be out a few $ for a new CPU, but you will have an updated PC for minimal cost. A budget Z97 MOB will run you $130ish + tax. Find a used i5/i7. Get a used gtx 770 for $200 or a 680 for less. It still sucks, but it would have some positives. In the end you would have a new CPU/MOB/HDD/PSU/GPU for maybe $200 out of pocket. If you can argue a few more $ out of them I would though.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I would argue shipping and any other costs you have had because of the issue.

ShinraCorp

Honestly most of these prices are reasonable but like bond007 said the CPU could go a bit higher. The 580 is considered way to old to go above the 100$ USD mark. It's 4 generations old.

Now the diagnostics charge is very interesting though... I mean 200$ is a lot.

I understand those 3000$ Hard Drive recovery labs fee since it's intense what they do and it requires a university diploma to work in one of them. But 200$ just to check if the PSU was responsible for busting it? Not at all....

As a matter of fact shouldn't they void the diagnostics fee if you're going to agree with their reimbursement? I mean the diagnostics fee is only if you send it to check it but didn't wanted it fixed or do anything with it. At least that's what a normal repair shop does anyway...