What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Corsair Dominator 3x2GB PC3-12800 C8 Memory Review Comment Thread

3oh6

index-1.jpg

Corsair has hit another balance between performance, overclocking, price, and features with the middle of the pack Dominator PC3-12800 3x2GB triple channel kit. Feel free to ask any questions, make any comments, or simply discuss this kit or the review here.

Also, if you are running an EVGA X58 SLI motherboard with this memory, feel free to ask for specific settings and I will use the BIOS template to reply with what I have found to work best.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Nice work yet again 3oh6. You've tested those sticks every way I could think of.

I've got a general question about DDR3 memory you may be able to answer. How does a lower latency DDR3-1333 (like 7-7-7-20) stack up against a higher latency DDR3-1600 (like 9-9-9-24)? I know you're more into the extreme OC end of things, but that might be of interest to us general enthusiast types who are short on coin. Or does the memory multi limit your OC using DDR3-1333?

I guess I should just spend a grand and start playing, I might figure it out meself.:biggrin:

3oh6

with a DDR3-1333 kit you won't really be limited by the lowest memory multi of 2:6 (3X). so without overclocking the memory, you could run up to a 222BCLCK. as you may already know, anything over 200BCLK on any board with any CPU is hit or miss. anything over 220BCLK stable is all but a pipe dream for the most part.

i actually have a Kingston DDR3-1333 3x1GB CL7 kit in the EVGA X58 SLI right now and it has been 200*19 / 2:6 with a i7 920 for DDR3-1200 7-7-7. runs great, but i haven't really done any benching with it to compare with say the DDR3-1600 kit reviewed. if i wasn't so swamped with work i might put something together but in reality, most applications aren't going to show much if any difference. benching is one thing, but daily activities are another. HTH

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Thanks for the followup. I'm not a bencher, I'm more interested in maintaining the highest minimum FPS in games. I didn't think you'd see much difference in daily application, but I wanted someone experienced to back up my opinion.

All this talk just makes me salivate even more over the new i7 build I'm contemplating.

MpG

Nice article. I've got the exact memory kit, same revision, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any differences in how mine perform. I haven't had a new kit of memory in a while, so I'm looking forwards to trying the hyperpi method for stability.

Interestingly enough, on my sticks, I can't remove that little strip that the cooling fins screw down into. Seems to be fixed solid.

Last edited:

zlojack

Good review 3oh6!

Thanks. Amazing memory performance on the X58, no question.

3oh6

thanks guys. i just got this kit on the DFI X58-T3eH8 and clocking seems to be very similar if not identical. it looks like the EVGA definitely wasn't holding this kit back. i have just got started with the DFI so i might be able to get them going a bit better but it looks like the 900MHz CL8/800MHz CL7 clocks are about the max for my kit.

@MpG...that is interesting about your modules are you talking about the strip "inside" the channel with the threads the screw into? maybe Corsair revised it so that strip didn't come out?

MpG

Probably. I actually put a fair bit of pressure on that strip, and it wouldn't even budge. If I'm really lucky, maybe some sort of thermal epoxy/glue is holding it there, and helping the heat reach the fins? But I have to agree with your review - when you look closer, it looks like the chip heat has a bit of a journey to actually reach the fins. So taking the fins off probably isn't going to hurt much, especially if the modules never see north of 1.65V.

Chilly

Great review as always! :thumb:

Actually something I'd be interested in seeing is how much a difference triple channel and dual channel have in real life performance and game.

3oh6

Great review as always! :thumb:

Actually something I'd be interested in seeing is how much a difference triple channel and dual channel have in real life performance and game.
thanks, that is good to know there is some interest in that sort of comparison. as you can imagine, benchmarking memory is quite boring to be honest. any kit at the same timings, frequency, etc...are going to perform the same.

i am always looking for things people want to see compared and then use the benchmark section of memory reviews to do that. i will try to make a triple channel VS dual channel comparison in an upcoming memory or motherboard review.

i was also thinking of putting a 3x1GB kit of DDR3-1333 CL7 Kingston HyperX up against this Dominator 3x2GB DDR3-1600 CL8 kit to see how they stack up at stock clocks. time is of course my only restraint at this point but i might do this comparison in a motherboard review next then do the triple channel VS dual channel with the next kit of memory on my test bench. any particular tests you were interested in? specific games? i am unfortunately stuck to 1680x1050 resolution but is there a certain GPU you want to see used? single GTX 280 / GTX 260 216SP up to 3XSLI / single GTX 295 (should be here soon).