What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Corsair H60 cooler on a Gigabyte 990FX board

LJS

I am doing my first ever build and would like some guidance for the installation of the H60 cooler on the 990fxa-ud3 board. I am not sure how the two brackets work in connection with the plastic mount that is already installed on the board. Any suggestions here?

ilya

It should just go over the existing backplate, refer to the instruction sheet. Coolit includes fairly idiot proof instructions with their units, the Corsair rebrands should be the same.

EDIT: you don't have to use the tape if you don't want to though.

EmptyMellon

Corsair H60 AMD instructions

The Corsair video is useless for AMD installation, as it is for Intel socket(s). Unlike Noctua, CoolIT/Corsair got lazy and used a system that picks up on the existing AMD brackets, which used a looped bolt/stud that hooks around the plastic AM3+ brackets (one per end) and then you tighten the nuts onto the looped studs. When tightening make sure you do NOT over-tighten the nuts as it is easily done.

1. Feed the looped studs/bolts through the H60 AMD flanged brackets and lightly tighted the provided nuts (1 full turn is enough; just enough to hold the nuts in place)

2. Loosly center the H60 block over the CPU

3. Hook the looped studs around the AMD AM3+ plastic brackets

4. Loosly tighten the provided nuts (in step 1.) on the studs, until you have the block snug but not tight

5. Using your (prefered) hand, center the H60 water block on the CPU socket (again) - yes eye-balling it

6. While maintaing the center of the block tighten the nuts (2 turns per side maximum) until the bock is snugly to tightly over the CPU - MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT BEND THE H60 AMD FLANGED BRACKETS DUE TO OVER-TIGHTING; THEY WILL BEND AS THERE IS NOT STOP-MECHANISM

Don't hold me to this but I think (IIRC) it takes a maximum of 7-9 half-turns per side to securely tighten the H60 block over the CPU, no more.:ph34r:

Edit: After the installation, watch your CPU temperatures, since they will rise above 50*C with the H60 in place IF IT IS NOT PROPERLY CENTERED and the water block has tendency to slide to one side. Otherwise you should idel around high 20's to low 30's, if you see 50+ you will have to reseat the block.

Last edited:

LJS

H60

Thanks guys. It was a great help. It's a lot simpler than I anticipated.

Latest posts