What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

corsair h70 liquid cooler

Hey fellas im have a question about processor temps when im gaming my intel 3930k is hitting 71c and was wondering if thats running a little hot for my setup ? i am using the storm trooper case with corsair h70 cooler should the fans on the cooler be exausting air out or pulling it into the case and as far as other fans in the case how many should i be using to intake air and which ones should be exausting air. i just want to make sure i dont over heat this system took me too long to save for it and if the cooler isnt the greatest what processer cooling would you recommend? at idle im at 34 to 39c and gaming it hit 71c

Silent_Avenger

Well I see quite a few reviews where they have those chips hitting 80c but that's overclocked. You def should have gone with the H80 or H100 since you can install a 240mm rad in the top of your case. For watercooling it's generally accepted that you want to blow all the hot air out of your case and none of it into your case so mount your fans exhausting through the rad and out the case. Basically there are 3 main things you want to keep cool in your system 1: the CPU 2: the GPU 3: the motherboard. Make sure that the vrms on your motherboard are properly cooled since the SB-E chips do use quite a bit of power which will cause your heatsinks on the motherboard to really heat up. For pretty much every case you'll want to pull cool air in from the front, bottom and or side and exhaust out the top and rear. If you're really worried about case temps load up all the possible intakes and exhausts and use the built in fan controller on your case to keep them quiet and you shouldn't really have a problem.

bignick277

Misread original post. Um yes 71c is very high. I would be very careful as that is quickly approaching the thermal threshold of the processor. I wouldn't recommend running that full overclocked all the time if your hitting those temps. If you are hitting those temps while gaming then I would recommend setting up a couple profiles on your motherboard if your board supports profiles. Set one profile for overclock and one profile for stock clocks. That way during normal use and light gaming where you don't need all that power, use the stock clock profile. And if you come across a game where you need that extra power, use the overclock profile. This will give you the best of both worlds and is safer in the long run for your processor extending it's life.

And yes, I would recommend using installing the fan on the H70 as an exhaust, not an intake. I have an H80 myself, I'm I have it installed as an exhaust as well.

Last edited:
Well those temps are from running stock . ihavent overclocked anything. and from what i can tell the cooler fans are set for exaust so now i have no idea why its running so hot

Silent_Avenger

Try remounting the pump/baseplate you may have a bad mounting. Make sure you're using the proper mounting hardware for the H70 I know with my H100 it has different hardware for the 2011 socket and if you use the wrong hardware the cooler won't mount up properly.

bignick277

Well those temps are from running stock . ihavent overclocked anything. and from what i can tell the cooler fans are set for exaust so now i have no idea why its running so hot

Oops... My fault. For some reason I was under the impression that you overclocking it. Don't know why. Anyway, I agree with what Silent_Avenger said. I would just point out one thing. I found when reseating my H80 cooler, I had inadvertently compromised the thermal compound. I ended up having to replace the pre-applied thermal compound with arctic silver. Also, you may want to see if there's a way to test that the pump is actually functioning properly. If it's not, that could very well go a long way to explaining why you're getting such high temps.

coleo

i found with my H-50 i had to wipe off the compound and re apply before i got temps i was happy with

Latest posts