What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Corsair Neutron / Neutron GTX Review COMMENT THREAD

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member

moocow

Nice work but I noticed an error. In the test setup, you listed a Mushkin unit but it's missing from all the testing results. Was there a problem with the Mushkin unit?

AkG

Due to space limitations the Mushkin was removed from the charts. It is a very good unit, but there is simply no need for it to be included anymore. TBH, the charts are getting a little over-full and I will be culling some more from them before the next high performance solid state drive review.

EmptyMellon

Ah, finally. Been looking forward to this review, from AkG/HWC. Interesting read on the (sparse) details of the LAMD controller.:thumb:

Eventually, will be looking to replace my M4 (128GB), and the Neutron GTX 240 seems like a good candidate for the work machine, just waiting for LAMD's firmware update for the Neutrons - if they can tweak the 4k reads even a bit more would be awesome.

So if I understood the IC setup correctly, than a Neutron GTX 360 or 480 with 16 ICs of Toshiba Toggle NAND, should in theory annihiliate any and all competition, unless of course there is more to it than that (EDIT: "that" meaning "my") amature-hour conclusion.

Last edited:

AkG

Ah, finally. Been looking forward to this review, from AkG/HWC. Interesting read on the (sparse) details of the LAMD controller.:thumb:

Eventually, will be looking to replace my M4 (128GB), and the Neutron GTX 240 seems like a good candidate for the work machine, just waiting for LAMD's firmware update for the Neutrons - if they can tweak the 4k reads even a bit more would be awesome.

So if I understood the IC setup correctly, than a Neutron GTX 360 or 480 with 16 ICs of Toshiba Toggle NAND, should in theory annihiliate any and all competition, unless of course there is more to it than that amature-hour conclusion.

I am sorry that you did not like our "amature-hour conclusion". Could you specific on what you found lacking?

Generic User #2

^

yes, as someone coming from a M4 256GB, does the GTX 240 offer any noticable improvement? Personally, I noticed my fully loaded firefox aurora (with ~175 tabs and deferred loading) takes about 2.3-2.7 seconds for it to get responsive(i type and the address bar prints in real-time). How does it compare to the 840 Pro?

NOTE: keep in mind I do alot of UI-related work and I DO notice any lag >300ms

EDIT:

@AKG,

I believe he was just asking a question. his preliminary conclusion was 'amateur hour' and he wanted confirmation from you.

AkG

Oh its good either way. I actually hope emptymellon has some constructive criticism. Seriously, if there is something lacking in our reviews PLEASE let us know. Its the only way we can improve them. At the end of the day that is why we do what we do. So if there is something 'missing'...no matter how harsh...please let us know. I cant guarantee it will be added in, but I WILL look into it! :)

AkG

As for the questions. I honestly do not know how Corsair implements the larger versions. They could boost the density a bit more and still only use 8ICs but in all likelihood yes they do use 16ICs. This should make it faster. I will see what i can do on getting a sample. :)

Will people notice a difference between a M4 and the GTX. Yes. It is faster. Will it be large enough to justify the price....hmmm that is not so cut and dry. The M4 is still good kit. Its only 1 gen out of date. My rule of thumb is wait TWO gens before upgrading. If that is not possible...then yes the GTX would be a very good choice.

Compared to a 840. I think the GTX would be a touch faster. Honestly only sticking point is on firmware. I would take a wait and see attitude and see if they sort things out. IF they do and get the speed drop off w/ data sorted out..this drive becomes a 'no brainer'. But LAMD dont have a track record. So wait a firmware, see how it changes things and THEN make a decision. IF this is not possible....take the risk. I think it will pay dividends.

edit:
and for the record....the GTX is never leaving my hands. I like this drive...a LOT. I know I would spend money and take the small risk in a heartbeat...and will be in the near future for a couple builds. :thumb:

EmptyMellon

I am sorry that you did not like our "amature-hour conclusion". Could you specific on what you found lacking?
:shok::doh:Hahaha:biggrin:, talk about miscommunication, you took that completely out of context. I was talking about myself, regarding my IC/Toshiba NAND commentary, as I did not wanted to sound like I knew what I was talking about.:ph34r:

EDIT: Thanks for answering the question.

Last edited:

Latest posts