What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress Corsair v70 Vengeance Case Mod: Planetside 2

Mnpctech

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech.jpg

It's good to be BUSY and I love Sci-Fi & Military theme builds. So I was very excited to receive an inquiry from Planetside2's Creative Director Matt Higby, about doing a New Conglomerate theme case for his new PC build.

"PLanetside2" is the sequel to the landmark MMO FPS has been revealed and is bigger and better than ever. PlanetSide 2 is a massive multiplayer online first person shooter. Game play delivers truly epic combat on a scale never before seen in stunning, breathtaking detail. Battles wage with literally thousands of players aligning with one of three unique factions in intense land, air and vehicle gameplay where the fight for territory is more than a victory, its survival. The "New Conglomerate"(commonly abbreviated NC) is Matt Higby's favorite faction. The NC is one of three empires waging for control over the planet Auraxis. They are characterized by hard-hitting weapons and heavily-armored vehicles that are designed with straight lines and hard edges. Their faction colors are blue and yellow.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_corsair_H100.jpg

Matt will be utilizing Corsair's H100 CPU cooler for the best optimal cooling.

120mm_fan_grill_overkill_ring_mnpctech.com4.jpg

I'll be creating a front intake with LEPA Chopper Cooling fan and 120mm Overkill Fan Ring

corsair_c70_vengeance_veng_vang_midtower_new_case_mod_window_review1.jpg

My canvas is Corsair's new Vengeance c70. It's a rugged, military inspired design. It arrives equipped with lots of features. It includes three Corsair 120mm fans, with the option to add seven more 120mm fans. Option to mount 240 or 360 radiator in the top panel. It has eight expansion slots. The retail price is $139.99. You can read my Corsair c70 Vengeance Case Review

Factory Specification List:
Warranty: Two years
Dimension: 19.7" x 9.1" x 21" / 501mm (H) x 232mm (W) x 533mm (L)
MB Support: ATX, mATX
Expansion Slots: 8
Material: Steel
Drive Bays: Three (3x) 5.25” bays, and Six (6x) 3.5”/2.5” hard drive bays
Cooling Fans Included: Three (3x) 120mm fans
Front I/O: (x2) USB 3.0, (x1) Headphone, (x1) MIC, Power, Reset Switches
Power Supply: ATX (not included)

corsair_c70_vengeance_veng_vang_midtower_new_case_mod_window_review3.jpg

corsair_c70_vengeance_veng_vang_midtower_new_case_mod_window_review4.jpg

Onto the first Case Mod!

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech1.jpg

The first modification is converting the c70's factory window to plain window without any fan hole perforations.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech1a.jpg

The c70 window assembly dismantled. Save the 16x Black screws! We will be using them to re-install out custom window.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech2.jpg

The new window will be cut from 24" x 24" sheet of 1/8" thick, Clear, cast acrylic. I'm tracing the factory window dimensions onto the sheet.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech3.jpg

Using Vertical Saw to cut the new window.

grizzly_band_saw.jpg

Going on 6 years ownership of my 14" Grizzly Vertical saw w/o a hitch.. You can use 1/8″ x .025 bi-metal blade for cutting acrylic and metal sheets. I usually cut 1/8″ thick sheets, Grizzly G0580 14" Bandsaw 3/4 HP - Amazon.com

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech4.jpg

This step is optional! I Rounded corners in the window with Hand file.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech6.jpg

Using "Plas-Drill" 1/4" drill bit to make insert holes for the mounting pegs, on the 4 individual Black window trim pieces. The best drill bits for plastics are spur-point bits, also known as dowel bits. They are specifically angled to make smooth cuts in the material. A spur-point bit has a central point and spurs that keep the bit aligned, maintaining a clean, neat hole.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech7.jpg

Place the acrylic sheet onto the panel and mark off the locations for mounting peg holes.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech8.jpg

Using 1/4" Drill bit made for Plastic.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9.jpg

The acrylic sheet is placed on backside of the panel in this photo.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9a.jpg

Reinstall the 4, Black window trim pieces into the panel. The pegs on the trim piece protrude through the panel and into your acrylic sheet, (after removing the paper backing on your acrylic sheet).

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9b.jpg

Remove the paper backing, then install the acrylic sheet. The pegs on the Black trim should protrude through.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9c.jpg

Use the 16x factory Black mounting screws, you removed to install your new window. You will need washers. You can get washer from Hardware or Home Improvement stores. I chose these fan grommets as spacers, to mount the acrylic sheet.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9d.jpg

Close up of fan grommets being used as spacers, to mount our custom window.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9e.jpg

Our new window is installed!

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f.jpg

Now Matt can view into his PC without anything obstructing his view. Next stage is customizing the c70's front bezel with something a bit more Industrial look..

some of the pc case modding products we may be using for this project

0fangrill_casemod_mnpctech.com_Targeted1.jpg

Fighter Pilot Toggle Switches, Fighter Pilot Military Toggle Safety Switches

toggle_switch_pilot_pc_case_mod_compact_black.jpg

To re-assemble the Corsair 900D chassis, I used these Black Powder coated PC chassis pop rivets

pop_rivet_black_computer_case_chassis_doomed.jpg

Pop Rivets For Computer Cases

Pop Rivet Gun

Pop Rivet Guns

pop_rivet_blind_tool_gun_computer_case_chassis.jpg

Creating the riveted exterior

Black PC Sleeving Kit

PC Cable and Wire Sleeving Kit

Last edited:

Mnpctech

Much like my other recent case mods, this PC to emulate Field Equipment that looks used.... I want to make the bezel much more aggressive and Industrial look.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_bezel1.jpg

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_bezel3.jpg

Lancool K58 bezel

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_bezel4.jpg

The K58 over the c70 bezel.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_bezel5.jpg

K58 bezel over c70.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_bezel7.jpg

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_bezel2.jpg

Removing the Corsair c70 front grill.

Mnpctech

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech.jpg

The New Conglomerate Badge will be on the right side panel. Instead of just painting it on the panel, how about a Three Dimensional version? Hell Yeah! So I surveyed my pile of acrylic.. I got some Transparent Blue and Clear. No Yellow, but I can always paint it!

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_conglomerate_logo1.jpg

All of the acrylic I'm using is Cast Acrylic, 1/8" thick. I printed out the logo, cut it, and traced around it, onto a 12" x 12" sheet of Clear acrylic.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_conglomerate_logo2.jpg

I used the Vertical saw to cut the traced pieces from the acrylic sheets.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_conglomerate_logo3.jpg

Cutting notches in the wingspan.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_conglomerate_logo4.jpg

Refining and defining the cuts with Hand File.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_conglomerate_logo5.jpg

Detailing the star, from the center of the logo.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_conglomerate_logo6.jpg

I'm debating about implementing some metal into the piece as well... Maybe mount the logo on metal shield... (back to the bench!)

Mnpctech

In-progress shot from the paint booth.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_custom_paint2.jpg

The paint I applied is Acrylic Lacquer Metallic Blue.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_custom_paint3.jpg

Under normal circumstances when applying Metallic Paint, you must apply top coat of Clear, but I deliberately skipped the Clear, to create this Dull SATIN finish.

Remember, I don't want the case to look shiny and new. I'm going to distress and weather the exterior, so this PC looks like it's survived some action in the field..

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_custom_paint5.jpg

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_custom_paint7.jpg

I've painted the junction box and Modders Mesh in Silver Aluminum.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_custom_paint9a.jpg

Lancool K58 bezel with Round Modders Mesh.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_custom_paint8.jpg

Next step is installing the front intake fan and connecting the hoses...

Pabz0r545

As always.... AMAZING. Never anything short of!

on a side note I wonder when manu's are going to stop putting those stupid perforated windows. Noone mounts fans on them anyways.

dandelioneater

Another sharp build.

As always.... AMAZING. Never anything short of!

on a side note I wonder when manu's are going to stop putting those stupid perforated windows. Noone mounts fans on them anyways.

I always avoid those cases as well.:haha: fan mounts on acrylic side panels looks so bad.

Mnpctech

@Pabz0r545, Thank you! and wish the manufacturers would listen to us! :thumb:

@dandelioneater, Thank you for dropping in and commenting :biggrin:

painted the New Conglomerate shield

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_paint1.jpg

I prepped the acrylic surface for paint by 1st scuffing the surface with Red Scotch brite pad.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_paint2.jpg

Next step is applying Primer coat, I used RUSTOLEUM Enamel, from Home Depot.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_paint4.jpg

I let the Primer cure for 2 hours...

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_paint3.jpg

I applied RUSTOLEUM's #7747 Sunburst Yellow, Enamel paint

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_paint5.jpg

I let the Yellow cure overnight....

Instead of just applying the logo on the factory case panel... I want something with a more industrial and rugged look.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech9f_new_conglomerate_logo_shield1.jpg

I want the perimeter of the factory frame for a new backing plate on the right side panel.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_120mm_new_conglomerate8.jpg

I used a Jigsaw with 18 TPI cutting blade to remove the center of the factory window.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_120mm_new_conglomerate1.jpg

I used a hand file to clean up the edges of the factory window frame.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_120mm_new_conglomerate3.jpg

I'll be mounting the logo on this aluminum plate with louvered vents. I cannibalized this sheet from AMS gtower CF-1009 case side panel, which was discontinued several years ago.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_120mm_new_conglomerate4.jpg

I painted the frame with Plasti-kote "Aluminum" color Engine Enamel Paint.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_120mm_new_conglomerate7.jpg

Aluminum panel mounted on modified c70 factory window. The NC shield is now attached onto the panel.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_120mm_new_conglomerate9b.jpg

The paint finish is not going to remain shiny and new...

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_soldier_armor.jpg

I'll be hand painting and airbrushing the finish with distressed and weathered look, much like this NC Soldier's body armor.

Mnpctech

I mounted the New Conglomerate shield onto the left side panel. I used socket head fasteners. This afternoon I'll start hand painting everything with distressed and weathered paint effects. Matt made it clear that he wanted the surfaces to look weathered. He sent images of the NC soldiers for inspiration.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_120mm_new_conglomerate9d.jpg

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_120mm_new_conglomerate9e.jpg

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_120mm_new_conglomerate9f.jpg

Matt wants the finish of the case to reflect the weathered armor on this New Conglomerate Soldier. I'll be using an airbrush and combination of different paint brushes, and sponges to weather the edges of exterior.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_soldier_armor2.jpg

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_soldier_armor3.jpg

Mnpctech

Matt wants the exterior to look aged and weathered.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_weathering1.jpg

Water Drop Masking: "Distressed & Weathered Look"

1. Spray entire surface with Water Spray Bottle
2. Use Airbrush over water drops with Enamel Paint
3. Allow to dry 1 minute
4. Use Paper Towel and Dab up the water, Don't Wipe!

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_water_masking1.jpg

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_water_masking2.jpg

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_water_masking3.jpg

Airbrushing shadows with Iwata around the NC shield, with Brown

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_water_masking4.jpg

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_water_masking5.jpg

Airbrushed mix of Grey / Black enamel paint over the vertical vents in the panels, to create aged effect.

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_water_masking6.jpg

You can see the water spots in the Blue exterior..

planetside2_corsair_c70_case_mod_gaming_pc_higby_fan_grill_mnpctech_logo_water_masking7.jpg

Scratched and scuffed the shield with red Scotchbrite pad and 80 grit sandpaper...

I'll be in the workshop on Sunday, applying more surface effects and adding some Yellow striping, inspired buy the NC armor.

Latest posts