What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Couple of Questions

jcmaz

Hey HWC,

I'm going to swap cases soon. I'm wondering what steps should i take in order not to screw up my computer (ie: lose all data) when i'm rebuilding it.

And is it ok if i use a blowdryer to dedustify my computer?

Thanks

Zero82z

Banned
Don't use a blowdryer. It produces heat, not just airflow, and that isn't really something you want. If anything, just use a vacuum cleaner to suck up as much dust as you can.

As for the transplant, there's really nothing to it. What I recommend is just that you disconnect all the cables beforehand, and then just do it step by step. It's not very complicated, nor is it difficult. Just take your time, don't be careless, and everything will go fine.

JD

Staff member
If your blowdryer has a "Cool" option where it's fan only, then I suppose it would work.

Though I typically just use my vacuum and a paint brush when I don't want to blow dust all over my house. In the spring/summer though I use the air compressor outside.

As for steps to not kill anything, don't work on a carpeted floor, try and touch the case before doing touching any components (to ground yourself), and just be careful with handling things.

jcmaz

I don't really get why you can't work on a carpeted floor when you ground yourself before you touch your components.

Can someone please elaborate?

Thanks

Zero82z

Banned
I don't really get why you can't work on a carpeted floor when you ground yourself before you touch your components.

Can someone please elaborate?

Thanks
You can work on a carpeted floor with no problems if you do ground yourself.

Arinoth

Staff member
As long as you have a part of your body touching the case you're fine. Typically i just keep like a foot or leg touching it and i've never killed any components yet (pc and more sensitive electronics i've used that were sensitive enough to be careful but not enough to be working a real work bench)

Latest posts

Twitter