What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

COVID-19 work conditions

lowfat

Staff member
Honestly I'm pretty damn impressed how most businesses are running here. A couple of days ago I was @ a TD bank repairing their ATM. Security guard onsite strictly enforcing 6 feet between each customer. And customers themselves keeping their distance. All the way out the door and wrapping around 2 sides of the building. And it was -15C out.

Was at a CIBC yesterday, and once again they had a security guard enforcing how many people in the branch. But then again I was at a difference CIBC, and the '6 feet' they taped on the floor for their ATM lineup was about 2.5 ft (n).

Most other businesses I've been at for work have been strictly enforcing customer limits and distancing as well. Pretty sure every single business I've been at, has had '6ft' markers taped on the floor where customers should stand.

Generally they all seem to be doing a bang up job here.

On another note... My brain now notices social distancing by default. Watching any media (including old ones) I automatically notice how people aren't keeping their distances :rolleyes:.

JD

Staff member
On another note... My brain now notices social distancing by default. Watching any media (including old ones) I automatically notice how people aren't keeping their distances :rolleyes:.
I caught myself looking at some photos on Google Maps yesterday and was like "wow, so many people gathered together, that's not normal"

I think this will have long lasting effects on some of us. I don't see how it's not going to change the definition of "normal".

Entz

None of the RCS/Loblaws around me have any available pickup times though, and that's already 2 weeks booked.
Do you have a Walmart reasonably close? Their pick up days are only seven days out since they limit them and the next days slots reset at midnight. If you don’t mind staying up a little later usually you can throw together an order, grab a pick a time and then edit your order over the next week to add/remove stuff.

Been working well here at least. RCS is a lost cause.

Lysrin

I think this will have long lasting effects on some of us. I don't see how it's not going to change the definition of "normal".

I agree, I think it will definitely have longer term changes to our normal.

Not making light of it in any way, but I actually quite like working from home. My team is pretty connected now on various online comm sources. I can't do everything I normally do, so that may become an issue at some point, but I certainly don't miss the commute, and I like be done work and home ready to start supper! As I said, this is a serious situation. That is just a little personal silver lining.

Our stores around here are running things pretty well too. Grocery stores have even set up a time for people with compromised immunity or elderly. I don't really know how they police that, or if they do, but still a good idea. I don't know how it helps a lot given people touch items, put them back on the shelf, you still have to pass people at various spacing, but perhaps it reduces some of the risk.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, the stores get it... now if we could only convince the individual deniers to tow the line.

At least at my better half's workplace they've got the option of cancelling a membership when/if somebody is refusing to respect distances and is ranting about how it's all a hoax. (At least one membership cancellation last week, and I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't more).

Lysrin

Yeah, the stores get it... now if we could only convince the individual deniers to tow the line.

At least at my better half's workplace they've got the option of cancelling a membership when/if somebody is refusing to respect distances and is ranting about how it's all a hoax. (At least one membership cancellation last week, and I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't more).

Wow! Cool. I do find the deniers to be tiresome... We may never know if the actions taken are too extreme or not, but that's the point. If things level out and get under control then we'll never need to know and that is the point of prevention.

This is a impressive link that was shared with me this morning: Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - COVID-19 Map

You can drill down to specific locations to see specific stats.

JD

Staff member
Do you have a Walmart reasonably close?
I do, but I generally do not support Walmart. It looks like it's solid booked as well. Plus I'd have even more concerns about cleanliness at Walmart as the odd time I've gone into it, it's pretty gross inside. I suppose I live in a relatively low-income area of Toronto, where East York and Scarbrough meet, so the clientele at these stores might not be the most respectful either.

I'm guessing we're in this until July at least now, seems most closures have been extended to June 30, my VP at work has weekly update meetings booked until mid-June...

Entz

Ah, yeah, then that may not be the best then. The only decent chance at getting bookings you want is when it resets first thing in the morning. Here it takes till around noon before they are gone but we are not exactly a "big" city.

And yes I agree with the things not going back to normal as we see it. I think if they start pushing the mask thing, hopefully once they sort out the hospital logistics, much like asia people may wear them more. Hopefully personal hygiene will keep in everyone's minds. I would love my Condo to not be a breading ground for the Cold virus in the winter :p

Shadowmeph

one sort of good thing about this it forced my Mother top learn to order the groceries online and get them delivered to her door I mean I didnt mind driving and picking her up to taking her t oget groceries but she always waited so long and sometimes it was on week ends when is the busiest I like my days off . the otehr nigfht while i wa sitting in my truck at work I started getting those flu like aches and I was thinking Great but they went away yesterday morning I was fine and today I am fine. there is a woman in my building that has been tearing down the taped off areas they put up so people wont group together says no reason for this hehe . when Iwas at the postal office to pick up a parcel last week the person in front of me became very agitated because of how slow it was going so started swearing and left I was in the lineup for maybe 5 minutes which is all good people have no patience. but I still dont get why the loto places wont let you buy one day draw instead of weekly draws I prefer to but the both draws a week for lotto

Izerous

Folding Team
Co-op grocery store installed plexiglass sheilds and markings on the floor to space people out.

They also put signs in each isle marking them as 1 way traffic to reduce people passing each other... I'd say 75% of the people in there ignored the one way signs.