What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

COVID-19 work conditions

belgolas

So far for me my week days nothing has changed. I wake up and go to work come home and I don't go out on week days cause I am tired from work anyway. Just my weekends are messed up but I am getting more game time in. Really missing going to my local tavern with my friends to eat wings but we keep up with each other online and play games together.

A bit scary where my brother lives two confirmed cases are in his neighborhood with no known contact origin. That means there is community spread in his neighborhood in Ajax, Ontario. A few people have died in the area I live in.

I am wondering when they are going to shut things down more as the number of cases keeps on accelerating. There is to my opinion so much non essential construction work going on. My one job I can understand why it is being pushed to finish as it is pretty close to being ready for people to move in. The problem is they want people to move in on May 1st but basically every trade has shortages of supplies. For example the factory that makes the sliding doors for this job has been shut down for 3 weeks and wont open till sometime this month. The doors haven't been made yet and they don't think we will get them to sometime in May. That means we would have to work in peoples homes and that takes much longer to do and this is a retirement home which means it is full of at higher risk people. Electricians and plumbers don't have everything yet and some don't know when they will get their products. Yet they haven't told us if they will push back the move in date.

We have a lot of other jobs in the coming months and we have supply shortages for all of them. For example one job we have hundreds of locks that come from Spain and we don't know if we will get them in time. Every jobsite sounds like they will have to push back their opening dates. We have a job where some trades just refuse to show up and it is a school that is nearly finished being built. Some sites people walked off of and demanded they wouldn't come back till they had running water to be able to wash their hands.

I think there is going to be a slowdown for a few weeks. I know I am starting to run out of work unless supplies start to be manufactured and move again. I also wonder if they will keep construction as essential in Ontario as it is impossible to keep six feet away from other trades.

JD

Staff member
Yeah, I question why construction and restaurants/fast food remain running at this time. Those don't really seem "essential" to me and just means more people out there potentially spreading it. As you mention, there's shortages all across the supply chain since some companies chose to close their doors as well. It's a really mis-mash set of rules.

Oliver & Bonacini Hospitality (I know, super expensive restaurants) thinks that only 1 in 10 restaurants will reopen when this is over. Based on Restaurants Canada's survey, 10% have already closed permanently and another 18% expected to do so this month. That's going to have large impacts on the overall economy, most restaurants are on leased property, so the land owners now lose that revenue too. It's going to be a cascading effect. And that's just 1 industry, it's looking like its going to be very difficult to recover from all this.

moocow

I don't think landlords catering to restaurants will be the only ones impacted. Considering a lot of offices are work from home, some of them may realize that going full work from home may not be a bad idea. We could see some of them just maintain a smaller front facing office with some meeting rooms and server rooms. HSBC in Vancouver already have most of their staff work from home a long time ago and just have hot desks in their office so people that need to come in just plugs in.

JD

Staff member
Totally agree there too, the company I work for has 3 buildings in "uptown" Toronto, I can't imagine it's cheap at all. I've been WFH for a over a year now since switching teams, but the people I talk to that do still go into the office say a lot of floors are empty most days (before this pandemic that is).

Perhaps this will finally drive down real estate prices and rent in Toronto and other major city centers where it's been out of control.

KaptCrunch

crave people had no issues of landlords, has greed caused this pandemic ? rents were out of control for had no money left after rent. capitalizaion is dead for this is stimulus keeps appearing 9/11, corvid whats next 1%er

Lysrin

Wife stopped into our Sobey's grocery store this morning and they have implemented the one-way lanes like was mentioned.

I think the restaurant and similar is a hard one. They are not essential, but if they don't provide at least takeout or delivery then they are definitely going to have to lay people off, if they don't go out of business outright. Hard to find the balance there, and hard on the owners and the employees. Lots of smaller service businesses in the same boat for sure.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
There are people out there who don't cook, and even some (think dorms, or room rentals) who don't have the ability to cook their own food.

Mr. Friendly

There are people out there who don't cook, and even some (think dorms, or room rentals) who don't have the ability to cook their own food.
that was pretty much me up until I got married. I ate at local restaraunts, ordered in all the time. my food budget was about the same as what my mum n dad had for the two of them.

JD

Staff member
Grocery stores usually have pre-made meals too though?

I know I'm only speaking from what I see in my local area, but it doesn't seem like many are staying inside. Decent amount of traffic on the road and lots of people in the grocery store when I go out once a week. Seems like it's just hair/nail salons and clothing stores that closed. Not even the malls have fully closed as they contain "essential" businesses. Feels like there's still too much open.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Really?

Yeah, we're doing better than that. The only stores that are open are grocery (dollar stores and walmart included), drug stores, hardware & automotive parts stores, corner stores and gas stations.

Latest posts

Twitter