What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

COVID-19 work conditions

JD

Staff member
Still breaking news I guess, but the list has been decreased more today: https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-essential-workplaces.

Looks like most stores will only be able to do curb-side pickup/delivery and not allow people in stores.

Also looks like some construction will be shutdown as well now, though it seems most in-progress projects continue?

Guess we'll know more once some media outlets compare the old and new lists to determine the specific changes.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Construction has been considered essential so far because of the economic impact of shutting it down completely. I was told than in BC construction-related business accounts for 38% of the economy. My friends involved in single-family construction have moved to one trade on-site per day to help with the physical distancing. Today electrical, tomorrow plumbing, etc. Many of the commercial sites are so big that even though there's 50 people on-site there's no one close by your work area. My company's crews are on the roof laying deck or in a man-lift putting on cladding, it's impossible to get with 2m of them without doing something stupid.

Edit: just looked at that list, it looks like ON has closed all commercial construction sites except for healthcare and public infrastructure. Residential is still allowed.

JD

Staff member
Edit: just looked at that list, it looks like ON has closed all commercial construction sites except for healthcare and public infrastructure. Residential is still allowed.
Most of the ones in Toronto at least would be classified as "residential" or "public infrastructure", I don't really see many commercial construction projects. Maybe a few of the towers in the downtown core are office space, but most look like condos.

But this is something at least, looks like we're finally limiting things a bit more seriously now.

I'm sure people will still be out in droves this weekend, either in the parks or the beaches, regardless of all these warnings from our leaders.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
All our municipal and regional parks are closed with the exception of walking trails and they are handing out $500 fines for using them.

Mr. Friendly

All our municipal and regional parks are closed with the exception of walking trails and they are handing out $500 fines for using them.
that's ridiculous. fines should only be handed out if social distancing isn't being observed...and only when it's gross negligence, not a happenstance you get 4ft close to someone when you jam up on a crowded spot on a trail, etc.

makes no sense that it's okay to walk on side walks and roadways...but not parks.

Supergrover

that's ridiculous. fines should only be handed out if social distancing isn't being observed...and only when it's gross negligence, not a happenstance you get 4ft close to someone when you jam up on a crowded spot on a trail, etc.

makes no sense that it's okay to walk on side walks and roadways...but not parks.
I disagree if the park is closed then it is closed. I do understand the argument but again closed means closed.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
They were beyond the caution tape and signs saying the park was closed. They deserve whatever they got. It's the "That stuff doesn't mean me" BS attitude that will keep the rest of us in our homes for months instead of weeks.

Entz

Likely nothing given the cost of what they are selling them for. Fine way too low, just the cost of doing business. needs to be 5k or jail.

those masks pictured are about 10$ a box (normally) give or take. So around 20c a piece.

at that amount they lost 3000x .20+500 or around $1100

they were selling for 2200. No idea how many they sold. But if they sell even half a set they broke even

edit: realized this was separate people with different types, so the big math is pointless. Changed to just the one.

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

the thing with Parks closing is in some places a good thing there are still groups of people gathering in parks which is Bad especially parks that have Homeless camped in them they are very Vulnerable and can easily pass the virus around very quickly because they are moving around everywhere and right now in BC the buss are free last I checked so allot of Homeless moving around via bus and people tend to pretend they are not there which again can be a very bad thing.

Latest posts

Twitter