What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

COVID-19 work conditions

Entz

Yes I would agree, without full testing there is no way to know. So to be safe, stay away. One place that did do a lot of testing was Iceland and I believe it was around 50% of people were asymptotic. In Canada that is around 19m if everyone had it o_O

we may see restrictions lifted a bit in BC but I cant see it being anything major (maybe some parks or beaches). Unless you close the border with AB, US, NWT etc people are just going to flock here to be safe (human nature) and cause more waves of death.

easter for our family this year will be over FaceTime vs a gathering . will be a bit weird but gotta keep people safe. Would rather lose a meal together then have to plan a funeral or 5

Shadowmeph

You can play devil's advocate for either side really...

Part of me would say our numbers are actually significantly worse than what's published, it's just that people stay home and recover on their own, thinking it's maybe just the normal flu or a common cold. The confirmed cases are only based upon people who have gone to get tested or been hospitalized. This is a very small subset of the population. The number of confirmed cases would only become credible if they were testing at least 50% of the population routinely IMO. This would have to include both testing for the virus itself and testing for immunity to the virus.

Ultimately, I don't think anyone truly knows the answer. Everyone's making the best educated guess they can, but I don't think you can really "fight" a virus. It'll spread one way or another and those who are vulnerable to it will be infected. The mortality rate seems to be the only somewhat useful metric but it doesn't really help you to predict spread or duration of this outbreak.
you are probably right and as for people staying in they should even if it is so called Bio Warfare idea type stuff the fact is people are sick and dieing mind you I am pretty sure it still isnt the same death rate as the normal flu( meaning I still think the flu kills more people then this VIrus) but it is better to be safe then sorry because with this version they are not sure exactly how long or strong it is they are doing educated guess's and predictions, so they are taking precautions which is a good things because if it becomes like New York our economy will never ever recover because people are dieing so know one will be able to work then we will start depending more on other countries which is not a good thing I already dont( never ever liked it ) like the idea of how much we depend on other countries I mean look at the 3m ordeal and that is just masks when we probably could do everything here in Canada ok I am getting off topic here , the fact is people are getting sick and they dont want panic and or the spreading of this version of the flu because they dont know how it will end . look at the Spanish flu that flu could wipe out allot of people even now. ther are still virus's in forest or in ice that is melting that are hopefully still dormant and will stay that way until us Humans disturb it and let it out to rampage humans. there is allot of He said she said BS blame going on about how this all started that doesn't matter we need to stick with the plan then worry about where it started and why later on

Prickly007

The number of confirmed cases would only become credible if they were testing at least 50% of the population routinely IMO.
Would not need to be that high, but they would need a truly random(ish), representative sample. But, yes, the news' fixation with confirmed cases is laughable.

KaptCrunch

Hype, fear mongering, human made from global warming? If greedy oilmen (monopoly) let solar power become defacto source of power we not be in this condition.

Last edited:

Bartacus

CBC has always been a ridiculous propaganda machine, not to be taken seriously (like most media). To me the Canadian Bullsh!t Collective is for amusement only.

I am still working at this time (essential service)...
My morning commute feels like an quiet episode of the walking dead (minus the abandoned cars & walking corpses)...

Shadowmeph

I am still working at this time (essential service)...
My morning commute feels like an quiet episode of the walking dead (minus the abandoned cars & walking corpses)...
I work nights so the usual fairly ending of heavy traffic around 1800 is very light and at night on the way home after midnight it seems like a shift on a sunday night on the way home I might see 5 cars max in teh 30 minute drive home . mid you driving through Langley the homeless and hookers are still out on 56th at night ( its my short cut home instead of taking the long route of Langley bypass but traffic wise its nice a quiet it is nicew t osee that and more police presence in my small town again allot of homeless around the police presence stops them from doing stupid things well not totally stops but makes them think before and the crack house a few blocks away is allot more quiet

I work nights so the usual fairly ending of heavy traffic around 1800 is very light and at night on the way home after midnight it seems like a shift on a sunday night on the way home I might see 5 cars max in teh 30 minute drive home . mid you driving through Langley the homeless and hookers are still out on 56th at night ( its my short cut home instead of taking the long route of Langley bypass but traffic wise its nice a quiet it is nicew t osee that and more police presence in my small town again allot of homeless around the police presence stops them from doing stupid things well not totally stops but makes them think before and the crack house a few blocks away is allot more quiet
The first day this happened... I had to pinch myself several times during my drive to work to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I saw an total of 5 cars on my 25 min commute. Now... the fog didn't help... and the fact that 2 cars were on the side of the road with their emergency lights flashing contributed too. I wasn't scared but it was spooky af (Silent Hill / Alan Wake vibes ??!?!)

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Just did my first Zoom meeting (66 participants, 3 main speakers spread out over atlantic Canada + 1 who's still stuck overseas... ).

Pleasantly surprised at how simple it was to use... even felt reasonably intuitive on a PC... they must not have let the mobile UI team get at it yet.... :)