What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

COVID-19 work conditions

Lysrin

Today begins day one of working from home for me. Work is shut for 2-3 weeks at this point. Bit of a mad scramble to get things together to work from home when it was announced late on Friday, but I have plenty to keep me busy even if I can't access all the work networks and systems.

I am also not leaving for my week in the Dominican tomorrow ;)

Any of you impacted by the changes and precautions?

(Note: This is NOT intended as a bash session of what the gov't or health care is or isn't doing right or wrong. If it turns into that mods lock it or delete it. Just curious what impacts other folks are feeling.)

sswilson

Staff member
My better half is in retail so no work-from-home for her. Just the opposite if anything... with the schools being closed she's probably going to be asked to backfill hours for employees who have to stay home with young kids in spite of the store being fairly empty after the morning rush looking for TP......

Bond007

I am waiting for an new update Mon afternoon. Lots of options being discussed late last week. So far lots of meetings, training and travel cancelled.

Izerous

Folding Team
My wife was more recently laid off but EI hadn't technically kicked in yet (pending approval and such) now it will be impossible for her to find work. Schools and daycares closed no where to take the kids to even be able to work. I can continue on for now but I'll probably try to do as much WFH as possible after today to limit exposure etc.

moocow

My company is only testing WFH this week doing 50/50 split because we are late in implementing WFH policies. We don't even know if the VPN can handle this many people on it. I suspect we'll start WFH for everyone next week. Friends in Google and MS in Kirkland are already WFH for at least 1 week and one of them is starting to go stir crazy.

ipaine

Well I'm at work, but it is quiet. No students always makes it quieter. But I'm fairly sure a bunch of the profs will be working from home, at least I hope so. They have the means to.

Depending on how things go I can always take a bunch of systems home and work on them there. Not ideal, but somewhat doable.

Lysrin

It's funny, we set up several things including Slack, to keep in touch while working from home. I think I've communicated more this morning than if I was in the office! lol We are staying off VPNs unless necessary as hard to estimate the load impact and want them to be available for people who really need that access. Some work email available through Outlook web access.

Wife's work has some staff working from home, some at work. She's a manager so she is in today helping with how all that is playing out.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
well, we're going semi-remote. and I've been told no more store pick ups or service drop offs.

granted, I've been remote for 2 years now...but two other staff have been told to work from home. be interesting to see what happens in the next lil bit.

Entz

Working at home for 2 weeks here as well. I am kinda used to it as I often do if the weather is crappy or partner is off etc. So its not super disruptive in that sense.

Not wanting or being able (closed) to go places is a bigger issue. Though at least its nice enough out to go for a walk. To much inside time = Crazy slowly am I going o_O

Latest posts