What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

COVID-19 work conditions

rjbarker

Whats sad is seeing the continuous sky rocketing numbers in PQ ....very disturbing...perhaps having issues with "isolating" ...not sure....but the numbers in that province are "shocking" to say the least.....Im really hoping to see "Inter provincial" travel closed completely except for essential ......hopefully the folks in PQ come together ...brutal....
Also...travellers returning from a place "of known infection" and having perhaps being in contact with known infected people (the most recent Cruise Ships in Florida)....why on earth is the Gove not sending them to Trenton for mandatory Quarantine ???? Relying on the the honour system that they will all self isolate for 14 days ....? We all know how well the honour system has worked out so far !!!!!!!

moocow

why on earth is the Gove not sending them to Trenton for mandatory Quarantine ????

Don't think there's enough room unless they stand up more barracks. If you look at Hong Kong, they had to take over almost ready to move in public housing as quarantine center. They ran out of summer camps locations. They also started using NFC wrist bands paired to your cell phone to track people and if you walk around outside with the band, you will get arrested (after a mob of people film you live and box you in). Try to leave the city, you get arrested (some guy got thrown in jail already). We been warn by the government that if we can't keep to the rules ourselves, they will be more forceful. If these idiots keep up, we will end up under full lock down like parts of Europe.

rjbarker

Don't think there's enough room unless they stand up more barracks. If you look at Hong Kong, they had to take over almost ready to move in public housing as quarantine center. They ran out of summer camps locations. They also started using NFC wrist bands paired to your cell phone to track people and if you walk around outside with the band, you will get arrested (after a mob of people film you live and box you in). Try to leave the city, you get arrested (some guy got thrown in jail already). We been warn by the government that if we can't keep to the rules ourselves, they will be more forceful. If these idiots keep up, we will end up under full lock down like parts of Europe.

The 2 Cruise ships had 250 CDN's returning.....they should have been put under Mandatory Quarantine" (considering they were on ships with a number of COVID 19 cases ..including deaths).......I'm afraid the Govt has let us all down with there SLOW response to shutting out parts of Europe and China back in Jan....check out Taiwans response and where there at.....
Allowing all those daily sched flights into both Van and TO from China (up until a few weeks ago) and relying on "honesty" for these travellers to self isolate was a complete failure and represents how quickly the virus has spread from Wuhan Province to Canada....initally Van was the hot spot...followed by TO.....(makes sense).......

As for PQ....7000 cases...double Ontario and almost 6x BC....concerning to say the least.....another Italy...Spain or NYC seems ot be there projection.....in BC here things are "Dead".....no people at all really are out...the Distancing Rule seems to be strictly adhered to....as we have a very early Spring (on the Westcoast), quite a number of folks were out a few weeks ago..parks n beaches.....but they have all been closed down now......good to see most folks here in BC (and other Provinces) are taking this as a crysis........btw cant stand hearing politicians call this a "challenge" ....to me a challenge was being down 3 goals in the 3rd period ....this is a crysis.....they should address it as that (fvck the political correctness at this juncture)......I have really enjoyed listening to Fords briefings (Ontario)....he tells it like it is...no sugar coating......

For PQ...pleease (for the sake of the rest of the Nation).....self isolate...stay home...no group gatherings etc etc etc

Dwayne

Flights from China still arriving at Vancouver, daily. Who is on these flights, and what measures are taken when they arrive? Nobody in the mainstream media seems to be reporting on this that I can find.

rjbarker

Flights from China still arriving at Vancouver, daily. Who is on these flights, and what measures are taken when they arrive? Nobody in the mainstream media seems to be reporting on this that I can find.

On another note we were down in Mexico 25 Feb to 16 March... (watching this develop by streaming Global news daily).....our return was Zihuatanejo Mex to Calgary (direct) then to Comox (same day direct from Calgary 2 hr layover)...all Westjet ......on the 16 March our Westjet plane arrived from Calgary (to Zihua).....17 people got off (was shocked to see folks still flying out of Canada)...of course the flight was full going back.......upon our arrival in Calgary ( 5 Hr flight)....there was NO screening of any kind (YYC)...NONE...people packed into tight lines (for Customs).....that was on 16 March.....

Should be noted upon our arrival in Zihuatanejo on the 25th Feb......the Authorities in the Customs line (to clear into Mex) were "fever testing" every single person.......yes wayyy back then..and in Mexico...

Once this is all over.....I sure hope theres a book written called something like "COVID-19 Respone: LESSONS LEARNED ............

JD

Staff member
Even with the strictest travel restrictions, it's a virus without a cure/vaccine. The same day you reopen everything, chances are the infection begins again. As it stands, I don't believe there's any way to determine that the virus is "gone", unless you test every single human on the planet.

All the published numbers are "fake" when you are only testing 1000/100,000 people (best case in Canada, Ontario is the lowest with like 500/100,000). That's only 0.5% to 1% of the population being tested.

The closures are mostly to prevent the hospital system from failing by spreading out the serious cases and deaths over a longer period of time. I imagine this virus will continue to be in circulation into next year since they estimate 12-18 months for a vaccine. Then the next hurdle will be convincing everyone to get vaccinated to build heard immunity.

Valkyrie

Yes the initial response was slow and soft, especially considering the delay getting the warning out from the source. We have to deal with it. It sucks.

Edit: ..or should I say it sucks, but we have to deal with it..

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

Even with the strictest travel restrictions, it's a virus without a cure/vaccine. The same day you reopen everything, chances are the infection begins again. As it stands, I don't believe there's any way to determine that the virus is "gone", unless you test every single human on the planet.

All the published numbers are "fake" when you are only testing 1000/100,000 people (best case in Canada, Ontario is the lowest with like 500/100,000). That's only 0.5% to 1% of the population being tested.

The closures are mostly to prevent the hospital system from failing by spreading out the serious cases and deaths over a longer period of time. I imagine this virus will continue to be in circulation into next year since they estimate 12-18 months for a vaccine. Then the next hurdle will be convincing everyone to get vaccinated to build heard immunity.
I heard and read that it will slow down but then comeback in the fall area time this is like the Flu does normally it goes through a seasonal thing sure you have peole catching it in between but not as much as in the peak parts of the season I am wondering how many people will think that it is gone when it slows down because of the season then stop the practice of washing the hands and when the season come nback to peak season there wil lbe even more cases. Like the flu ther is no cure and I really doubt they will ever find one they still dont have a Cure for the common cold the only thing is to just like the normal flu is to isolate drink liquids if you dont isolate the virus will basically just keep going from person to person and come back until the Human body adjusts to it so the person doesn't feel it as bad as when they first got it like my Neice and her daughter her daughter catches a flu from school brings it home my niece catches it and then it just moves back and forth between them until the body adjusts just enough for the symptoms to not feel as bad the flu virus isn't gone it is still there

lowfat

Staff member
The 'common cold' is like 200 different known viruses. Mostly 'rhinovirus' but ~ 20% of them are in the coronavirus family. And many are still unknown. A vaccine could definitely be made for just the covid19 strain and probably could for any single known strain of the common cold. But for every known strain would be a whole lot of money and a whole lot of vaccines.

Shadowmeph

The 'common cold' is like 200 different known viruses. Mostly 'rhinovirus' but ~ 20% of them are in the coronavirus family. And many are still unknown. A vaccine could definitely be made for just the covid19 strain and probably could for any single known strain of the common cold. But for every known strain would be a whole lot of money and a whole lot of vaccines.
which Big Pharma would love great way to make money and be the hero

Latest posts