What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CPU Locked at Lowest Multi by C&Q?

_dangtx_

Banned
the chances of either being bad are,in my humble opinion, more towards issues with the mobo than cpu. there is always an exception, but still.

any chance you'd have the patience to completely drain(aka overnight) the mobo/bios/etc of any electricity? worth a shot, at least in my book.

frontier204

Well replacing the CPU didn't help - I put in a known-working Phenom 9500 and I'm getting CPU frequency of 1102MHz with Linux+Prime95.
Potentially the final nail in the coffin for the mobo?

&dangtx: Yep I can pull the battery out of the motherboard and leave it overnight. To help the drain process I'll attach a laptop chill mat to one of the USB ports, which I know remains connected to the motherboard's power whether the computer is on or not.

...And so ends one on-and-off day of debugging! 'till morning ;)

frontier204

I contacted Asus's tech support about the issue... fingers crossed. It's still under warranty and I know I have the original receipt kicking around. I can try the original shop where I got it, although they gave me a terrible experience in the past with an HDD.

Now I'm stuck in the same situation the martin_jones is in (see http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/36212-replace-renew.html)...

_dangtx_

Banned
if they send you another one for 10 bucks or so shipping? why not. dont forget to post in the canadian rma thread.

frontier204

Well ~1 week later and no reply from ASUS... Their tech support phone ASUS LiveSupport linked to an answering machine that does not even have the company's name so I did not leave any message.

Does anyone know a sure way to get in touch with ASUS, short of attempting to fill up their black hole of a tech support inbox? Even if they process my claim immediately the best they can expect from me in the RMA ratings thread will be a 6/10...

Latest posts