What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CPU temp or Core temp? E6420 NOOB

Delavan

I just downloaded Core temp 0.95 and I get a Tjunction of 85 degrees celsius.at idle!!!
Cores are at around 23 deg. celsius idle.

Meanwhile ,Speedfan gives me a Temp 1=39deg c.
Temp 2=12 deg c.
Temp 3=-1 deg.c
Temp HD=31 deg.c

Meanwhile, Gigabyte Easy tune 5 utility gives me =System= 40 deg.c
CPU = 13 deg.c

All that simultaneously, at idle, no OC.
Also TAT gives me core temps of around 24-26 degrees.cel!!!!

Last edited:

omgwtf

sswilson: it was the sensor...i think :haha:
I had the same problem, I think you have a problem with the senzor :biggrin: I don't think your temp of the cpu is 13C or over 40...check it out in the bios...
Speedfan yesterday showed me Cpu temp:23C but that was impossible, now everything works..
Try to use the program that came with the motherboard, I use PC Probe II and Speedfan (my mobo is Asus M2N-E) both programes indicate the same temp...
Check out this thread too.. I hope that everything will work out.

Last edited:

Delavan

I 've been on Core temps forums and I'm sure most of you have been there also. That TJunction thing is not a reliable reading on desktop processors. It as to do with mobile chips only...

I think I'll just disregard the Tjunction reading. What about you folks?

sswilson

Staff member
I read something the other day specifically about a tjunction of 85c being bogus. Something about the #85 being a preset static reading.

Delavan

I found this site, apparently it's owned by Core temp programmer, Arthur Liberman...

Arthur's website

The whole Tjunction minus DTSDelta was good for these CPUs(with small deviations of several degrees above or below), but it is basically useless for desktop CPUs. In desktop CPUs the calculation is PROCHOT# minus DTSDelta, and obviously we cannot read PROCHOT# temp.

I'm a little knowledgeable about electronics, but this is way above my level...

pscout

Fallen Folder
To me the most important thing about any software temp readings is calibration for your own use.

During my oc'ing, I try to find out at what temps orthos or 4 x P95 start to error, and also where a test folding WU will error. The max stable folding temp is what is important to me since my folding rigs run 724. This is usually cpu temps, but in the summer time, high mobo temps (~ 40c or more?) can also cause instablity.

I need to leave a margin of error to allow for build up of dust, changes in ambient temps so that I really only need to adjust things as the seasons change a bit.

So I don't consider any of the reported temps as absolutes, but rather a guage as to how close i am to instability.

I usually build more than 1 of the same cpu/mobo. I get a feel for consistency from one to the other and it makes oc'ing and diagnosis easier. I have multiple ds3's, p5b-d's, p5w64's, p5wd2-X's atm.

For me, core temp is pretty consistant across mobo's and c2d/c2q's, and i like it cuz of its small screen footprint.

For other mobo readings i like asus probe but i ignore cpu temp. Gigabyte easytune cannot be customized to fit well on a screen without obscuring other folding windows i like to monitor, as most of the folding rigs run 1024/768 or 1280/1024 res. All my ds3's are running linux atm so I only have gkrellm and lm-sensors to monitor with, but all my oc'ing is done in wxp.

Last edited:

Babrbarossa

I don't place much faith in temperature readings: I have two core two duos here, and with both of them there is always a whacked temp or two on at least one of the monitoring programs. I know that they can serve as a good guide, but I don't think they can achieve much precision.

Latest posts