What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CPU temp problems.

A_Dude

So let me start off by saying that im not the the smartest person.

The other day my computer got a blue screen, i was surprised but i didnt look into the cause of it. Fast forward to today and i checked my temps because i do that sometimes. So my CPU was at 80 degrees and i got really nervous.

Im trying to find out the reason why it got so high, i havent fiddled with anything in the computer since i put it together, when i started the computer for the first time after i installed the watercooler the idle temp was at like 30. Now its at 40, ive been running the Prime 95 benchmark for a while now and its gotten to 70 degrees celsius, and thats after ive removed the overclock.

Mobo: Asus P67 Pro Rev 3
CPU: INtel 2600k
CPU-cooler: Corsair Hydro 75

Any idea what may have caused this?

Some things i find weird:
1. I just stopped the Prime95 test thingy and it went from 70 degrees celsius to 40 in like 1 second. Is that possible?
2. Every other time i turn on the computer it does this weird thing: Boots up for 3 seconds, shuts down and then boots up for real. Dont know whats up with that.

Coach

A few things to check:

-Is the fan on the rad spinning at the correct speed(s)?
-Is the rad clogged? Have you cleaned it?
-Is the pump spinning at the correct speed?
I would start there. To answer your questions:
Q.
1. I just stopped the Prime95 test thingy and it went from 70 degrees celsius to 40 in like 1 second. Is that possible?
A. Yes

Q
2. Every other time i turn on the computer it does this weird thing: Boots up for 3 seconds, shuts down and then boots up for real. Dont know whats up with that.
A. Has it always done this? Is it only from a cold boot or does it also do this on a restart? Have you tried resetting the bios to default settings?

A_Dude

Thanks for the reply. So the steps ive taken are:

Resetting the bios, that solved the restart when starting issue.

Vacuumed all the stuff i could in the computer so i vacuumed the big black block that the fans are attached to for the cpu-cooler.

Replugged many chords.

Applied new thermal paste.

And none of that doesnt seem to have changed anything about the temp.

So im not sure how to check if the cpu fan is spinning in normal speeds and if the pump is spinning at the correct stpeeds.

Last edited:

clshades

Corsair hydro should have software that can adjust the fan speed. If the pump wasn't working the top of your CPU block would be extremely hot to the touch. Servicing those type of aio water coolers is tricky me thinks but it might be clogged or low on water? Maybe somebody who's taken one apart has some suggestions.

Maybe put an air cooler on the CPU as a test to see if the temps go down. If they do your water cooler might be dead.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Did you cooler coke with multiple mounting kits? If so, check to make sure you used the right ones... Maybe your bolts are tightened all the way, but they're the wrong length so your cooler isn't making very good contact with the CPU.

A 1-second jump from 40c to 70c its pretty darn bad.

A_Dude

It worked perfect when i installed it for the first time. I didnt touch it since then until today.

I touched the block thingy that waters runs through and it isnt that hot. I tried unplugging the chord that runs from the pump i assume, and it didnt start at all without it so i guess it works.

Didnt find any software to control the Hydro fan.

Coach

IMO you must confirm that the pump RPM and the fan RPM are operating at correct speeds.

Vittra

Easiest way is installing the Corsair Link software that clshades referenced. The link for it is in his post.

Latest posts

Twitter